towing capacity

Jacob

Hi:
I am new to this forum but doing alot of reading lately.I am looking to move up from my 12' rockwood pup. and want to try one of the new hybrids.
I have been getting alot of conflicting information on my towing capacity.I have a chevy venture and as far as I know it is rated at 3500pounds.I have been told the following:
-I am rated for 3500 but with a weight dist. hitch I can handle 5000
-from my dealer I have been using for last 10 yrs says I can pull the rockwood roo 19 with a dry weight of 3319 and GVWR of 6593...again with a weight dist. hitch.
-2 other dealer say NO WAY I can pull those loads without killing the van or myself.They say the rockwood roo 17 at 2832 dry weight is max and another had a unit at 2584 dry weight and 3826 GVWR is max.
Any help from you experienced users will be gratly appriated

Jacob

utmtman

Re: towing capacity

If you are rated at 3500 lbs I would not go over that so that means you need to get a trailer with a dry rate of between 2500 and 3000 cuz you will carry 500 plus of personal items, food and so on.

C Nash

You will be way over. Don't do it. i would guess you need to stay 2000 and under. Remember everything you carry in the tow vehicle counts also.

Kirk

The issue isn't so much what you can tow, but rather be concerned about what weight you can stop in an emergency, or control on a steep grade under bad weather conditions. Many people do tow well over the rating for the tow vehicle and some get away with it for years. But others have things go wrong just one time and disaster strikes!

Weight ratings are a little like seatbelts. Do you wear them? How safe do you want you and your family to be?

H2H1

Good point Kirk, Jacob just follow these suggestions from these guys they know there stuff and you should be ok

Buckeye Chuck

I have an Antigua 215 SSO that weighs around 5,000 lbs loaded to go. I tow with a Ford F150 5.4 V8 and wouldn't recommend anything less.

I used to tow with 04 Ford Ranger with the big V6 and 4.10 gears and felt that was maxed out for flat to gentle hills. Error on the side of safety.

-BC-

Buckeye Chuck

I have an Antigua 215 SSO that weighs around 5,000 lbs loaded to go. I tow with a Ford F150 5.4 V8 and wouldn't recommend anything less.

I used to tow with 04 Ford Ranger with the big V6 and 4.10 gears and felt that was maxed out for flat to gentle hills. Error on the side of safety.

-BC-

Jacob

thanks for the input everyone....It will be tight but I am looking for a new vechicle

Jacob

ARCHER

Jacob, I have a Ram 1500 w/5.9L V8. If I had it to do over, I'd have purchased the Ram 2500. It would have given me a lot more options on size trailer, etc., for towing. Just my comment. Welcome

Jacob

RE: towing capacity

Thanks again everyone.I went with a new surveyor 25' trailer and I bought a Nissan Pathfinder to pull iy (will pull 6000 pounds)

Jacob

jetboat

RE: towing capacity

sounds like a good choice, remember,ALL RV'ERS,pack more than we should.so watch what goes into it.