towing capibility of trailblazer 5.3 v8

baxter08

i have a 2004 trailblazer with a 5.3 v8 that rated to tow 6200lbs.

would i have a problem pulling 5700 lbs and thats not loaded.

i do expect loaded would probably put it at 6100lbs?

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

bax

hertig

Re: towing capibility of trailblazer 5.3 v8

6200 pounds is with no accessories added to the vehicle, no cargo, no passengers. Just a 150 pound driver and a bit of gas. So, as long as the weight in the truck is less than 500 pounds, you may be able to tow 5700 pounds. But if it is empty, why bother towing it; an empty RV is not of much use.

You sure you will never have more than 400 pounds of food, water, sewage, clothing, tools, hook up supplies, utensils, manuals, tapes/dvds, games and gadgets?

baxter08

just not fully understanding some are telling me that's no problem with my truck and some are saying there is no way.

the total combined weight is like 12000lbs or pretty close to that.

DL Rupper

Hey baxter08, You won't have trouble towing the trailer on a flat road. You can probably even get up the hills, SLOWLY. You may increase long term problems, with your brakes, drive lines, differentials, transmission, and suspension. It would be best not to tow at maximum load capacity. If you do it occasionally, for short distances you can get by. Just remember what you get moving must at sometime come to a stop. Don't drive too fast, your brakes are designed to stop your Trailblazer and a 6200 lb towed load, and they won't stop it on a dime.

baxter08

RE: towing capibility of trailblazer 5.3 v8

i was wrong i have a towing capacity of 7100 lbs.

i was misled about the 6200lb i quoted before.

hertig

With 7100 pounds capacity, you may be ok, as long as the amount of stuff in the trailer and the stuff in the truck (including people) is less than 1400 pounds. Sure you can go over the limit, but it increases your chance of an accident, breakdown or excessive wear of your truck, and increases the stress of your trip. Not to mention that if you do have an accident, the lawyers may be all over you.