Towing Truck

Joan

My husband and I are ready to purchase a truck with the intent of towing a 5th wheel (25 ft) in another year. What recomendations can you give regarding the type of truck to purchase? Engine type, etc. Thank you. Joan

joy

Towing Truck

This is one of those "depends" questions...do a lot of research to determine the actual weights you will be pulling. Check the truck manuals - Check the trailer spec charts - don't depend on either the truck or the salesman's word. Chances are they are not well versed on the subject and they are interested in selling the vehicle! There is usually a lot of discussions on various forums - look in www.trailerlife.com and peruse the discussions going a good ways back...I know it has been done throughly and in detail there. And I'm sure there are other sites, too - check them out. Post your message there, too, if you haven't all ready. You can't get too much info!! One word of caution - buy the most truck you can afford &/or might need - it is better to have too much truck than not enough. (that is an expensive mistake to correct - we found out the hard way! And we were not newbies, exactly, just trusting - slsman said it was enough and we believed him!) And, besides, you might decide to go bigger on the trailer and then you won't have to replace the truck, too!

joy