Towing Truck

Joan

My husband and I are ready to purchase a diesel truck with the intent of towing a 5th wheel (25 ft) in another year. What recomendations can you give regarding the type of truck to purchase? Engine type, etc. Thank you. Joan

C Nash

Towing Truck

Joan,
Will you be buying a new truck or used? This question should get plenty of replies. The ps Ford diesel is a proven tow truck as is the Dodge cummins. We all have our favorits. I have a 95 chev 6.5 turbo diesel dually that has done great so far:). We tow a 28 ft 5th wheel. It has 126000 miles of trouble free service other than one injection pump, Alternator and water pump. The 6.5 will not tow what the Ford or Dodge will but, the fuel mialage seems to be better. If I was buying new, I would take a look at the new GM Duramax with the Allision transmission. Most reports have been favorable and reports are that they out perform the Ford and Dodge tr. but, it has not been out long enough to prove itself (IMO) I fall in the catagory that would rather push my chevy than drive one of those others
I would recomend at least a 3/4 ton, with towing package, in which ever brand you buy with the correct rear axle ratio for the weight you will be towing.

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

joy

Towing Truck

We pull a 32' 5ver with a Ford F3500 diesel dually crew cab Laredo and love it. But IMO, the best advice is to do your homework and do not take the word of either the RV or truck salesman when it comes to "what the truck will tow". It is rare to find one who actually knows what he is talking about and, after all, they are in the business to sell you their product. And it is far better to have too much truck than too little! Take it from one who has been there - it is a costly mistake to correct!

joy