Towing with and RV

Darrell

I am looking at purchasing my first RV.
I am looking for something in the 22'-28'length range.
It will be used for hunting, camping and towing my 4X4.
I will spend about a month per year in this RV so I am not a fulltimer.
I will be towing a 8k lb trailer with it for several hundred miles a couple times a year through the mountains of Colorado to get to Utah. I know I will need a 454 or 460 CI engine. I can't afford a pusher diesel so that is out . I am wondering if a class A is really that much better than a class C unit. I am looking at units that have a rear axle set back more than most due to the tongue weight it will carry. I like certain features of each design. Of course being able to safely tow an 8k lb trailer is the main priority. I would like to hear from people out there who tow with one or the other or better yet have towed with both. Pluses minuses thoughts and concerns and items I might need to look for while shoppping for my first RV. As well as what RV you use. I am well versed on tranny coolers and having it prewired for trailer brakes.
Thanks
Darrell

janicenlarry

Towing with and RV

Wow that is a tough one. Dont know of any Class A or C non diesel that will safely pull 16,000 lbs. How about an 18 wheeler type tractor with a large living area? There are a few customizers doing that work however they will be diesel. Good luck

janicenlarry

Towing with and RV

Have you looked at the Class A's & C's that have living area in the front and a garage in the rear? Might resolve your problem :laugh:

Darrell

Towing with and RV

I have looked at a couple "toy haulers" both class A and C. None can carry trucks in the "garage" the ones that will carry my 5500 lb Scout II are big rig conversions. I haven't seen a class A or C able to carry that much extra weight on the rear axle. If you have one in mind I would be intersted in what it is.
The big rig idea provides plenty of power and brakes but would be a real bear to get into tight places in the hills and extra tough to rescue with my 4X4 if/when they get stuck. I think I am going to have to take the 4X4 on a trailer that way if I have to I can get the motor home out and use the Scout to tow the trailer to the road in the winter. This isn't the plan only planning ahead for unforseen circumstances.
Thanks
Darrell

Ed H.

Towing with and RV

Look at a few manufacturers' web sites. They have all the specifications listed out including towing capacities and GCW ratings. Most shorter class C units with the Ford V-10 will handle the weight you are thinking about. Just make sure the unit in question has no frame modifications. Some models have had the frame added to and that cuts the towing capacity.
I recall one maker (I don't remember which one) touting a high tow rating.