Towing with class c

mstrtech1

Ok masterful gathering of minds,knowledge,and experiance.I have a 27 ft Ford 460 3spd 1989. Any suggestions for towing ? Dolly versus tow bar.How about limits on vehicle size ?How about MH weight ? Just for haha's I weighed the MH empty with a full tank of gas only.Came in at 11060 lbs. GVWR tag on door says 11,000. Has anyone else weighed their rig and found it to be at tag weight empty ? Is this a concern ?Thanks in advance for any help.This group carries some vast knowledge and experiance that you don't find in books. Happy Motoring, Steve :cool:

hertig

Towing with class c

I'd think it was a concern that your empty weight is higher than your GVWR. That would seem to indicate that without any water, propane, food, clothes, etc, you are already exceeding your safe capacity. There have been rumors that class C motorhomes are famous for this.

In order to know what you can tow, you would have to know the GCVW for your rig. Subtract the motorhome weight from this, and you have the weight you can tow. Note that towing adds some weight (tongue weight) to the motorhome, which is already over its maximum.

Gary B

Towing with class c

Hi mstrtech1, are you sure you read the GVWR correctly, I was of the belief that the Ford E-350 had a GVWR of 14000 lbs. I had a 78 Chev G-30 chassis mini and fully loaded to head out for Alaska, it came in about 33 lbs below GVWR, that was witj all the food we could get in it, clothes, full gas, extra oil you name it. If you tow 4 down, you'll have no added wt. on the mh, but you'll need to know the GVCWR (Gross vehicle Combined Wt. Rating), you should be able to tow a small vehicle like a S-10, Geo Tracker, Ranger Etc. Good luck. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:

mstrtech1

Towing with class c

Hi Gary,Ya thats what the door tag says.I know it does'nt sound right that it would be over empty.I guess I'm gonna have to do some research with Ford or some old books.Maybe the tag was for a straight van and not the cut away model !Hope it was a mistake. Thanks for the replys. Steve :) :laugh:

ralphie

Towing with class c

I think Gary is right; my '87 Class C chassis rating was 14,000lbs as I recall, and it weighed 11,500lbs dry. It had a 3500lb hitch, and I had no problem towing an '85 Camry on a dolly in the mountains.