towing

Chuck32

I had seen serval Travel trailers that tow a second trailer behind them like small utility trailer, pop-ups and even smaller travel trailers has evenone has done this? I would like to tow my ten foot utility trailer behind mine 24 foot travel trailer it has a 4-inch square mild steel tube bumper is this safe to do I would it is illegal in some states

C Nash

Re: towing

Chuch it is illeagle in some states. I do not recommend towing anything behind a TT but some do it. The TT is just not designed to do this. The tube bumper is not designed for a hitch and you would need to do some mods if you decide to go this route. Can it be done? yes, but IMO you are puting you and others in danger. JMO

H2H1

I second what Nash has stated. :laugh: to dangerous for you and others

Shadow

With all due respect guys I will have to disagree. I triple towed with our bay boat for three years. Towed it behind our Cougar 5th wheel. No problems whats so ever. Had a fella make me a reciever hitch welded to the frame. It is legal in Texas, but not in all states. It can be done safely. Don't think it would be legal if if was considered dangerous.

JMHO guys,

C Nash

Shadow, I see it done often bt not knowing how much experience a person has or ability to tow I have to advise with caution. A good experienced driver with the proper hitch and hook up would be ok for short runs IMO. I have just seen to many rvers towing 70mph on the interstates and wrecked unit because of sway.

Shadow

RE: towing

Chelse, you are correct that someone can make it a hazard. I do not disagree with you there. Heck I agree with you 99.9999999% of the time. :laugh:

Grandview Trailer Sa

Butch, all I can say is you got damn lucky. A campers frame is NOT designed to tow another trailer behind. I see it quite often, and pass them as fast as I can....

Also, the laws that pertain to double and triple towing have rules that control the type of tow vehicle, and hitches...for instance the only way a double can come thru Virginia is using Kingpin hitches or Pintle, NOT BALLS. AND the tow vehicle can only bea TRACTOR...the legal description of TRACTOR is "A tow vehicle that cannot haul a load of it's own". In simple words, no pickups....

Grandview Trailer Sa

I learned a lot on the side of the road years ago...was towing 2 horse trailers from OK, behind a Dually. Got out of a ticket by being nice.....but was read the riot act by a VA trooper.

Shadow

Well I do have some Irish in me Ken. So maybe I was lucky. Did alot of research before we did it. Called Keystone and talked to a lot of people doing it. Never had any trouble, and we towed it quite often. All you guys know more about towing and trailers than I will ever learn. But been there and still think it can be done safely. JMO

Grandview Trailer Sa

Butch, your saving grace was the fact that you did not have any troubles. IF the DOT had gotten involved in an accident, you would have come out on the short end of the stick.

Troopers tend to let recreational and farm vehicles go, unless you look dangerous on the road. I was commercial, bringing the trailers across state lines for resale. They watch me much closer!

Grandview Trailer Sa

Nash,
You have not seen the big picture. Let me try to explain, Texas and lots of other states allow double towing. OK, that statement in a nutshell is fine, but there are legal issues. The laws were written for the big boys, not pickup trucks.

*The LEGAL way tow double and triple is to use 5th wheel kingpins and pintle hitches as your couplers..BALLS are not legal for double and triple towing. Look at all the big rigs doing it...NO balls are used.
*Tractors are the only LEGAL tow vehicle for double and triple towing. That rules out ALL pickups.
*Frames on Travel Trailers and 5th wheels are not designed to tow another trailer behind.

I had a DOT Trooper sit me down and tell me what I had to do to get "legal" when I was towing 2 horse trailers from Oklahoma to Virginia. I did it 2 and 3 times a month for EIGHT years. After that conversation, I figured out that there was no way I could make my Dually conform to the laws written for 18 wheelers.

Now, I know it is done all the time. The problem is when there is a wreck, and there will be one, the guy with the "improper equipment" will be the one in big time trouble.