towing

I have owned a 2000 Four Winds 28A since 2002. I have never towed a vehicle yet but I would like to now.
I would like to tow with four wheels down,but I have a 1995 Olds Cierra and you can't with that vehicle. My question is if I get a tow dolly with brakes do I need to put a brake system on the vehicle also? Also, can you get a dolly with brakes?

akjimny

Re: towing

Yes, you can get a tow dolly with electric brakes. You will have to have a brake controller installed on your motor home, if it doesn't have one already.

C Nash

If you have a dolly with brakes the toad will not need a braking system. Are you sure the olds cannot be towed 4 down? Most gm cars can but I have not looked up the Olds.

H2H1

Nash I think u are right, my Saturn can be towed all 4 down, And since the Olds is a General Motor products it should be able to be towed, but JMHO.

Hi Jim
Thank you for your answer. Do you live in Alaska during warm weather? If so, can you tell me how hard is it on a Class C motor home to make the round trip in June and leaving from Michigan. My neighbor went a few years ago but we could not go at the time. He is going again and I want to go this time. How much time should I allow for an round trip and still see a lot? Thank you for your info.

Don

akjimny

I lived in Alaska about 30 years until my parents laid a guilt trip on me and got me to move back to Florida 12 years ago. Now we travel up each spring and come back to Florida in the fall. In the spring (April/May), from Florida the trip takes about 16 to 18 days, depending on weather and road conditions. In June, leaving from Michigan and driving reasonably, you should be able to make the trip to Anchorage in 12 to 14 days. By June the Canadians should have (hopefully) most of the winter road damage repaired.

With my wife's medical conditions, we stay in established campgrounds every night, and most of the legs of the trip are 325 to 360 miles. Just drive careful over the damaged parts of the road and the trip should be no problem. Hope this helps some - if you have more questions, post back. :) :)

C Nash

Don we drove our class A from Alabama to Alaska in 04 and had no problem at all. I would not go w/o a toad. To many sights to see. We drove the ice truckers road in the toad to prudoe Bay. We left the 1st of May. Take your time and you should have no problem. Roads are no worse than some here in the lower US. We made no CG reservations and had no problems. We did stay in a couple Walmarts on the way up. I would head out again in a minute if had the $$$$$. Trip worth ever dme we spent.

H2H1

I like Nash, if I had the $$$$ I would make the trip. But it would be a long trip from GA. but I know it would be worth every penny. Hey it is on my bucket list.

Michguy

RE: towing

Four Winds,
I sure hope you check ypur owners manual or with somebody who knows about towing your Olds four down. Most GM cars cannot be towed four down without some major expense.

We are leaving for Alaska on May 9. I did a lot of research and spoke to a few people who made the trip. We're not towing and already have most of the packing done. Don't forget your passports (for Canada), medical paperwork for pets, if any, and a Canadian vehicle proof of insurance card. Prudential issued one to me free of charge.

Triple E

Since when do you need a passport to enter Canada. I go up quite a bit and have never been asked for a passport or proof on insurance. What is next. :(

I once was ask to prove that I had the means, money, to make it to Alaska.

akjimny

Steve - We got the whole enchilada treatment when we went thru the Canadian border on April 21st. Maybe it was just random chance, as we have never had the full inspection before. We had to pull into a garage and three inspectors went thru the motor home from top to bottom, opened suitcases, checked in all the storage bins, everything. Had to declare how much money I was carrying and had them count it. They even asked how many firearms I owned (nine), how many I was carrying (one), and where the rest were (at home in the gun safe). The inspectors were very polite and professional and thorough. They could have checked even more, but didn't. They did not make us take the covers off the motorcycles, spare tire, or Boss Lady's wheelchair, so we could have had a bunch of contraband. But I suspect they are well trained in observing people's reactions to their questions and searching, and knew we were just a couple of old folks traveling up to Alaska to visit the family.

All in all the inspection and paperwork took about an hour. When we got to the Alaskan USA border, the US officer just asked for our passports and vehicle registration, glanced at them and waved us thru. So I guess it all depends on ????? But do remember to bring your passports and vehicle documents. :) :) :)

Triple E

Wow!! I have never had problems going into Canada, even going on the moose hunt they ask me why I had two rifle's. I told them one for brush and one for open area and they just said good luck and be safe. Now coming back is a different story, allot like yours but never going up. My grandson father works for the border patrol. He told me that when you pull up to the booth they know more about you then you do. And they still put you through all of that crap. It kind of reminds me of the Iron Curtain. :angry:

So you are up in Alaska now, Anchorage?