Trailer brake control

Richie R

I have a 2011 Jaco 24 ft travel trailer and plan to tow it with a 2010 Ford F-150.

Bought the truck with factory tow package (not there best package ),

Is it a must to install a trailer brake control,,,,if so would there be a place under the dash to plug it in or will it be easy to wire in myself ?

H2H1

not hard to do, but unless your very knowledgable, and you cross wires and then you will have some big problems. I think I would buy the unit and wait and have it installed if the expense it to high to get it all done at once. Are you planning on going camping soon, if so, get er done... Yes you will need it to help stop it. good luck

H2H1

I should have added, if I am wrong, I know some of the rv experts on here will correct. That OK to , I will learn something

akjimny

Most modern trucks (my 2010 Dodge Ram, for instance) come pre-wired to accept a brake controller. If your truck came from the factory with sockets in back by the trailer hitch/receiver, yours is probably pre-wired too. You may have to buy an adapter or wiring harness to go from the controller to the vehicle chassis wiring system, but it is mostly just plug and go. Google "Trailer Brake Controller" and you will get several manufacturer's websites. Read those and pick the one you want.:):)

H2H1

NO once the brake controller is installed, that all that is needed, AS Jimmy stated, if your Ford is prewired for a 7 pin plug at the tag area, then all you have to do is plug the trailer in. Now your break controller may need some adjusting on the breaking, but that is done from you inside the cab of your truck. You can adjust the breaking by sliding the bar or turning the adjustment wheel to get the trailer breaking with the truck. Good luck

Grandview Trailer Sa

If you truck has the tow package, you can purchase the brake controller and a wiring harness to connect them to your truck. All you will have to do then is mount it on the dash.