trailer control

old_guy

Well, this seems to be the place to start. I bought a 96 Skyline Nomad Oct of last year. I did the numbers with the truck so I'm good with that. Thinking the dealer RV America screwed me on the hitch but...
Currently I am installing a LED amber caution light on the back of the trailer along with a slow moving vehicle triangle.
Many of the "forums" I have looked at suggest 50 or 55 mph. I haven't had this thing on the hi-way yet and can't even imagine doing the 75mph speed limit. Time will tell...
I'm still on a step learning curve since disability has more or less forced me into full time rving. I did alot of road trips when I was younger but now at age 60 my wanderlust isn't what it used to be.
I'm having the trailer's brakes, spindles, bearings, grease etc checked out before I hit the road. I May call the dealership firast to see if they looked at them but I am thinking these guys are nothing more than used car salesmen...hoping not but...
I installed a cb in the truck. I'm working on the brain wiring for the LED. This forum has been and will I imagine help answer the thousands of questions I have.
At this point probably the hardest thing is figuring out how to put a four bedroom house with a two car oversize garage inside the travel trailer... :eek:. It's 25" from spare tire to ball hitch.
I loved the five most forgotten thingy list. I am currently researching generators.
The most daunting thing for now is what's going to happen when those 18 wheeler's come blasting by me like I'm setting still. Any advice from you guys would be appreicated. I have thought about and maybe you guys might know about this...attaching a curved peice of alumium to the back driver side of the trailer???? Any thoughts? Thanks guys.

C Nash

Re: trailer control

Welcome to the forum Paul. 55 is a safe speed IMO even though you will have other rvers passing you towing. Invest in a good sway system or one of the expensive hitch systems. Watch your rear view mirrors and when possible just give your tow vehicle a little more gas when you see the simi coming by. Never let up or break while one is passing, You will also find that vans tend to push as they pass. xpect a small push as it's normal. I would not bother with a slow moving vehicle triangle or amber light on rear just be sure turn, tail and brake lights work. A lot of states allow only 55 towing speed. leave in time and don't hurry.

H2H1

Paul, Nash is correct on his statements, most be careful and watch all your surrounding. I normally travel at 22k RPM which puts me at 66 mph and at this speed I feel comfortable when others pass me., and I get better gas mileage at that speed. Good luck and happy camping

C Nash

Hollis your Chevy must be geared a little higher than my Ford. Think I am running about 55 or maybe 60 at 2200 rpm and that's the best rpm for me. Ow well that's me trying to remember from memory and you know coming from me what that's worth :laugh:

C Nash

Paul, if you try to put a 4 bedroom plus garage stuff in a 25 footer sway will be your least worry :eek: :laugh: ;) You want be able to get on the road :laugh: ;)

old_guy

It says Valley on the reciever. It's a weight distribution hitch with the draw bars. The hitch, instlation, includung the brake controler cost me almost $1400.00

old_guy

I found a wedsite under Vally distribution hitches. I called. They said it is made by draw-tite.