trailer weight for truck

savit1

i have a 2001 gmc 2500hd duramax allison shortbed the manual says max trailer weight is 15400 lbs 2500 lbs hitch weight max.the trailer weight with carry capacity 12700lbs, hith weight 2300lb will the performance still be there for hills
thanks sal

Grandview Trailer Sa

trailer weight for truck

The power will still be there, but adding a trailer changes everything. You won't have the rapid take off and stopping will be different. You also have to get use to the "off track" that occurs in a turn. If you haven't towed before, ask lots of advise before you head down the interstate at highway speeds.

The weights you have stated are what your truck is rated for. These ratings have been talked about here before. They are the maximum weights your truck can safely handle. I believe the 15400 is the rating for a fifth wheel. My personnal trucks are rated for 15700 with fifth wheels. (The ratings were up'd in 2002 or '03.) You need to factor in the weight of the trailer PLUS everything you put in the trailer, clothes, food, water, etc.

Any more questions, here is the place to get answers. Good Luck

Poppa

trailer weight for truck

Several of my friends have a Duramax and they pull 5th wheels. Most have bought the kit that gives then some extra HP when pulling and they set it back when they are just tooling around. They are all very satisfied with this set up.