Transmission Temperature guage

Tomb

Hi Mr. ALLISONMAN

I am brand new to RV'ing and to this Forum. I am buying a 2004 Itasca Suncruiser next week. A friend with a MH told me to seriously consider adding an extra transmission cooler and a temperature guage for the cockpit. Would really appreciate your thoughts on this and if needed recommended parts. Also any connection point thoughts. Thanks

Tomb

Kirk

A temp. indicator is a good idea, but not vital. I doubt the need for the extra cooler. Most motorhomes come with the appropriate amount of transmission cooling. But the temp. indicator would let you know if you need more cooling. That is true for any transmission.

Gary B

Hi Tomb, welcome to the forum, a temp gage is a good idea, that way you'll know if you really need additional cooling, as Krik posted most new vehicles are well equipmed with proper coolers.
What I use is an aux trans fluid filter kit with a temp gage all in one this gives you about an additional qt of fluid and a real filter for the trans, its a spin off type so its easy to change the filter every 12 to 15000 miles. The kit I use is a Perma-Cool filter/gage system. I'll see if I can find a link. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:
http://www.alamomotorsports.com/products.html
Then go down to cooling etc.

Poppa

Oh well :cool: The need for an additional cooler comes with the terretory (CSS) as desinged the ehicle cooler is propably satisfactory for cruising. The additional cooler when pulling a toad , boat, or doing a little mountain climbing sureb saves on your thrans mission.
For about 200 bucks you and buy a fan cooled unit that has a thernostat on it and the unit DOES not have to be mounted infront of the radiator which is good for obvious reasons/
Auto trans mission oil has a fins dividing line for being good to abd. Or in other words put it in a bind run it hot one time amd it stars to break down.
Pay the 200 bucks an have peace of mind and a cooler tranny.

Tomb

I appreciate all the good advice on transmission cooling. It does seem to be a situation where spending a few hundred dollars will give me peace of mind and hopefully keep the transmission running smoothly for a long time.

Tomb