Traveling Texas

elkhartjim

We've been on the road for almost 2 weeks, but will be back home tonight. Yuck!

Lets see...it was lows in the 30's and highs in the mid 90's. Started the trip at 110' elevation and drove as high as 6407' and never left this great state. Saw the rings around Saturn and three of its four moons, a nebula in action and of course a close up of the moon all at the McDonald observatory in Fort Davis, Tx.The deer showed up at the camp site eachevening looking for a hand out and the javelina showed up each night looking for whatever a javelina looks for at night.

Visited the grandeur of Big Bend National park but the high light was the drive from Lajitas to Presidio along the Rio Grande. Its labeled as one of the most spectacular drives in America and it certainly lived up to all the press. Awesome.

The birds are in full migration and we saw birds I never knew existed. Wow! There's that word again.

Stayed in Langtry the other night and for you non Texans, thats where Judge Roy Bean ruled the law west of the Pecos river.Headed home now. Darn it.

H2H1

Re: Traveling Texas

Jim it sounds like you had a great time. I wished we were back in Texas, but next month we are heading up to Rapid City SC for 2 weeks. and then head back home, but we are planning on going to Tunica MS for a few nights of gambling. but glad to hear you are doing OK :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

JimE

RE: Traveling Texas

Jim I am jealous. I have lived in Texas for 27 years now ever since I got out of the Air Force and have never traveled to Big Bend. I am going to add it to my list of places to visit and probably give it a go next Spring before it gets too hot. I might hit you up for some advice when the time comes cause it sounds like you did it right!

C Nash

Jim, I agree :) Big Bend is a must see along with the drive from Lajitas to Presidio along the Rio Grande. I did have kind of a chocking feeling going through Langtry. :eek: Maybe old Judge Bean is still around :laugh: Missed the Marfa lights :( Guess no Indians were coming off the Mnts. :laugh: or maybe Tex stayed home that night. :laugh:

DL Rupper

We visited Big Bend for the second time last Nov. Great place to see. Beautiful country. We took the trip from Lajitas to Presidio on our first visit (2001). Fun side trip.
We had a Javelina visit our campground while staying in Fort Davis. It was a Passport America campground so we got to view the Javelina at 50% off. :laugh: :laugh: :approve:

C Nash

The McDonald observatory in Fort Davis is a great visit also but, wonder why they don't sell Big Macs :eek: :laugh:

elkhartjim

We're home dang it!!!!!! 1477 miles, averaged 9.1 mpg. Average deisel price $2.05. Average price for cg $21.80/ night. What a trip and praise be to the Lord, no problems with the mh. Oh and DL... the dang wind darn near blew us to Kansas but Roxie said she ain't ever going to Kansas via the wind.

C Nash

Glad you had a trouble free trip Jim with no MH problems. I have found that the best thing to do when the wind is blowing is just go with it. Once go 13 MPG coming through Texas and the wind behind us. :approve:

DL Rupper

Hey Jim, last year on our trip out west we had to stay parked in a State Park on the WY/NE border for 8 days of 30/50 mile/hr constant winds. The MH next to us had the awning/protectors over the top of their slides ripped off. We thought we might wake up in Texas.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;) :laugh: