TV REQUIREMENT

H2H1

I saw on TV last night about the requirement of HD TVs. Has anyone heard that of Feb 08 all TV's must be HD programmed. I just wandering if we all going to have to buy new TVs for the RV. I have a 2003 and I don't think they are HD programmed. can anyone share any light on this subject. thanks

C Nash

Re: TV REQUIREMENT

It's my understanding that the current tvs will be able to receive the signal just not as sharp as the HD and then I have also heard that you will have to have some kind of box to receive the signal. Guess we will soon find out. Not buying one yet, Who wants to watch commercials anyway :laugh:

H2H1

thanks for your reply, that basically what I been told. but who wants to but another box. I guess I will have to get the sat working and just use that next year.

hertig

In 2009, all current TV broadcast licences will be revoked by the FCC. The only TV available then will be digital, on different frequencies. The current tuners will no longer work. You either will need a digital tuner in your TV, or an external box which includes the digital tuner and outputs (channel 3/4) analog.

Camping world has such a box, on sale now. Many, but not all channels broadcast simultaniously in digital and analog today.

H2H1

TV REQUIREMENT

yes, that what the question was about , I really don't need another box to hook up, sat may be my answer in 09. but thanks for your reply

H2H1

I saw it last night from the e-mail I got from CW. I may get one later. what is your take on the price going up or down on the box by the end of 08

hertig

I suspect it will go down, due to competition from other boxes. Already it has 'gone down' (on sale) from $190 to $150.

A little bit of a pain to hook up, since it does not have 'F' connector(antenna) output. I had to find a 'RF Modulator' (rare these days) to be able to feed it into the entertainment center selection switch (as AUX). Finally found one which fits into a nook in the entertainment center at Best Buy, I think. Most places either don't carry them any more, or they are too big to cram into the entertainment center. Since I did not have a satellite box, I put the Digital Tuner in that section of the entertainment center.

In 'major' markets, I'd say at least 3/4 of the stations broadcast in digital, and many have multiple programs (usually standard program and a weather station). PBS usually has several, different programs. Out in the boonies, digital transmissions are few and far between (or it could just be my crappy omnidirectional antenna). :dead: