unhappy Earthbound customer

jfletcher72

I am going to post this on each of the forums I am a member of with hopes of generating some dialogue. I mainly need to vent since this was a considerable purchase for us, and our first TT. Also I want to shed some light on what I perceive to be bad business practices.

I purchased a used 2010 Earthbound Goldenridge in the late fall of 2009. The coach was only a few months old when we bought it. A few months (early Spring 2010) after our purchase we noticed that we had a pretty severe leak in the slide. We took it into our dealer and since it was past the dealrers "90 warranty" window we had to cover the cost for the sealing and adjustment of the slide ($600). This was our first issue with the coach. Late Spring of 2010 we had taken several trips and had no issues with cooling the coach in 80 degree weather. Once Summer hit and temperatures rose above 90 we could not get the coach cooler than 85. We bought an extended warranty at time of purchase and took it into the dealer for repair. The Dometic Heat Pump tested fine. We were told that it was underpowered for the size of our coach. I immediately contacted Earthbound. I was told that their touted 3year “bumper to hitch” guarantee was non-transferable. Over the next few weeks I exchanged phone calls and emails with Earthbound’s Warranty Manager. He was very pleasant to speak with, but ultimately provide no reparations for my issue. He told me that other owners with this issue purchased a roof mount 15k AC unit, and their cooling issues were resolved. I now have the coach in the shop having an AC installed($1800). Another issue we have is the paint on the front and rear fiberglass caps have faded beyond restoration. Earthbound also stated they were aware of issues like this on their initial models. They blamed it on the type of paint that was used. Again no offer of reparation. They will have to be repainted at my cost. I have no idea what that will cost.

I have tried to locate an Earthbound internet forum, but the closest I can find is a Facebook page for them. I became a fan and posted my concerns. I wanted to see if any other owner were suffering the same issues. I did have one lady admit to having the same AC and paint issues. She said they replaced her heat pump, and offered to repaint her coach. She purchased hers new. Once I replied and voice my dislike of how I felt our coach was an obvious test model. My posts were removed and I was “un-friended”. Apparently that page is meant for only positive posts. They do not want to hear from unhappy customers.

To sum up this rant I am very displeased with how Earthbound discarded the owners of their admitted failed models. They worked out all the kinks with the next year’s model, and left owners like me holding the bag on the failed test model.

krsmitty

Re: unhappy Earthbound customer

Sorry to hear about your problems. Sounds like it is time to go "up the chain". You mentioned you talked to the warranty manager, now go to his boss, then his boss. Or write the top dog. If you are a Good Sam member they have a department that will get with manufacturers etc. for members.

Good Luck

Grandview Trailer Sa

Good Luck, but being a dealer, warranties are for the first owner only and non transferable. That is the way the RV world is, not saying I agree with it.....

As far as 1,800 for an AC....that is a total rip off, unless there is more to it than you say.

jfletcher72

the ac is about a $1000. However since there is not a current roof mount ac they have to cut a hole and run wiring the length of the coach... so lots of labor.

Grandview Trailer Sa

1,000 would be full retail after shipping..they have gone up...like everything else. Retail on the AC is 818.00...maybe an inside grill...plus shipping.....yep.