Utah camping

H2H1

Ok Friends I need some suggestions. We will be heading out that way this June, well that is if gas does not get out of sight. So I would like to know some of the camp grounds in and around Bryce and Zion NP's, also Moab,Grand Stir Case and any other great places to see and stay

H2H1

dang 3 days olds and no one has made a comment. Iknew some of the full timers would have jump in and made some suggestions. Oh well still waiting

H2H1

gee that all you can tell,,, I get more out of Maria when my hearing aids are out

akjimny

Hollis - You know my standard answer - www.rvparkreviews.com. If I can't find a place to stay using their reviews, I park at Walmart. Sorry I can't give you any first hand info. Last time I was in Utah I was stuck in the Salt Lake City airport due to a volcano in Alaska grounding all the flights.:):)

Triple E

Hollis I just did a search on my CoPilot. I do not think you will find a problem finding some where to stay.

H2H1

thanks for all who rersponded, But we are hoping to camp in some of the national parks. I know they aren't FHU but the price is good. And the way gas is going I need to save as much as I can. I do have an alotted amount for gas and if gas goes above that we will be camping close by.

KarenS144

We did that trip this past Sept! Absolutely GORGEOUS country.

We stayed at Dead Horse Point State Park which is fairly close to both Arches & Canyonlands- Island in the Sky. DHP at sunset is something everyone needs to see even if you don't stay there. It has electric & water & a dump station. The sites aren't huge nor level but that's what leveling jacks are for. :) Moab is way cool! Well worth a day trip and poking around in the stores. Awesome jeep trails there.

We left DHP and went to Capitol Reef...another beautiful place but you'd have to look really hard not to find a gorgeous place in Utah. We stayed at Thousand Lakes RV at Torrey. Nice place, full hookups and a laundry. Nice showers too. AND you can order yummy muffins for breakfast! They also offer a dinner on Friday & Sat nights which was really good. We took a day trip to Fishlake which was gorgeous. If you go, do the loop all the way around the lake. Goblin State Park is between DHP & CRNP and well worth the side trip.

The drive on UT 12 was only slightly nerve racking and we got to see some more rocks... GORGEOUS rocks! love, Love, LOVE Utah!

Escalante & Petrified Forest State Park was next. It's a small park and small sites but you aren't right on top of your neighbor. Our rig was the biggest one in there and I don't know that anything larger could have made it. From there, DH went on a flyfishing trip to McGrath Lake. More jeep trails.

We stayed at Ruby's when we visited Bryce. HUGE campground and lots of tourist traps but we'd stay there again. The mule ride into the canyon is wonderful. You drop 1000 feet and meander through the pines before you climb back out. Lots of history & too many rock formations....sensory overload! The trout at the Lodge was AMAZING. OMG.... sooo good! They have shuttles there as well but you can drive to the overlooks. Do not miss Fairy Canyon!

Stay IN Zion NP. Gorgeous campground and many large campsites. Our loop had electric but no water. There's a dump station there. We were able to walk to the visitor center to catch the shuttle (you can't drive private vehicles to many of the sites). If you can, "Hike the Narrows"! welll..... we didn't really hike the narrows but we waded up to the first deep pool. When we go back, we'll be prepared to go farther up the river. Zion is.... hard to describe. So different from the other parks (each one is unique though). Majestic, peaceful, breathtaking.....

Once you're at Zion, you might as well plan to go to the North Rim. Way different from the South Rim and I liked it better. Really nice sites but no hookups.

Bonus campgrounds: Big Bend Rec Area near Moab. It's a BML campground and no hookups but you are right on the Colorado River. No reservations either but we were lucky enough to get one of the 2 sites that could accomodate our rig.

DeMotte which is outside of the North Rim. This is a Nat. Forest campground..first come, first served. No hook ups. Nice sites though!

Hope this helped!

Triple E

Karen, Is Thousand Trails at Torrey now open to the public? I know the Thousand Trail here in Washington State are now open to the public.

KarenS144

Triple E;75926 said:
Karen, Is Thousand Trails at Torrey now open to the public? I know the Thousand Trail here in Washington State are now open to the public.

We stayed at Thousand Lakes which is open to the public. They are a Good Sams CG but also give other discounts.

H2H1

Karen thanks for your reply, you really painted a great picture for us . We are drooling over our selves in the expectations. We get on google each night and go seraching places to see. thanks again

H2H1

Hi Karen, Maria, the better half would like to know what part of Hiway 12 is so bad? I think she might be getting to worry about me driving our MH down or up the road. I am thinking it's no problem, but she went on street view and took the camera down the road and saw no problem. But I know other seems to think it a white knuckles drive

KarenS144

The section is called The Hogback and it is pretty much straight down on both sides with a few curves thrown in just for fun! I had read horror stories on some boards but HUGE rigs travel it everyday so I figured we'd be okay. As long as you go slow which is pretty much a given there, you'll be fine. If you don't have a copy of Mountain Directory West, you might want to get one. It lists many of the questionable highways and tells you what to expect where.

You'll be fine!

H2H1

So with my 36' + a toad we should be OK just take our time. Thanks for your reply ,as of now my only concern is how much more gas is going up. If it goes up much more that trip will be out.