Utah's Red Rock Country

DL Rupper

Fall is coming fast and a good place to visit when it cools down is the National /State Parks in Southern Utah. It is hard to find anywhere in the USA with better scenery. Start with the easy to reach Nat'l Parks off Highway 89, Bryce and Zion. Both exceptional. If you have the time, try Highway 12 from Bryce over to Torrey, Ut. This Highway will test your mettle. It starts out easy enough through Tropic, Ut, but gets real fun when you get to the Grand Staircase Escalante Nat'l Momument. You will encounter 8-12 percent grades in roller coaster fashion, climbing up to a narrow 2 way road overlooking the Escalante Nat'l Monument on both sides (straight down). Absolutely great views. Next comes the town of Escalante, Ut with a possible stay at Escalante State Park and a chance to hike up to a large petrified forest. Great fun. The next challenge is climbing up Boulder Mt. It is about 12 miles up a 6 percent grade with fabulous lookout points overlooking the Red Rock Country of Escalante and Capitol Reef National Park. Unsurpassed views. The forests of Boulder Mt. are full of deer so be wary. The next point of interest is Capitol Reef Nat'l park. It is a well kept secret, even in Utah. My wife and I grew up in SLC, UT and didn't visit there until after we retired and started fulltiming. We were so impressed we volunteered to be campground hosts in 2001. That's saying a lot. Retirement to me means no work. It was a fantastic experience. The Capitol Reef Campground is an oasis in the middle of an unbelievably beautiful desert red rock formation. No hookups, but a great campground with water and a dump station available. The campground and visitors center is located in an old Mormon homestead/town with fruit orchards surrounding it. Visitors can pick the fruit when ripe. From Capitol Reef it is only 120 or so miles to Arches and Canyonlands Nat'l Parks, and Deadhorse Point State Park, totally awesome. Nearby the Parks the Colorado River flows majestically by. Right down the road from the Nat'l Parks is the town of Moab,Ut. In the spring it is the 4-wheel drive mecca and mountain bike capital of the world. Thought should be given to staying in the commercial campgrounds in Moab, as the Nat'l Park campgrounds are fairly rustic. No hookups to say the least. On the trip over to Arches and Cayonlands, side trips to Glen Canyon Nat'l Recreation Area, Monument Valley, Natural Bridges Nat'l Monument and Goblin Valley State Park are possible/recommended. The scenery in Southern Utah is even more spectacular than the Grand Canyon. However, if a trip to the Grand Canyon is a must, the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (higher and better views than the South rim) can be reached by heading south on Highway 89, after visiting Zion Nat'l Park. If heading to the Grand Canyon, be sure to spend the night in Kanab, Ut. The Kanab RV Corral is a great little park with reasonable prices. These Nat'l Parks/Monuments should be visited at least once in your lifetime.

DL Rupper

Utah's Red Rock Country

I thought maybe I would get a few comments on this subject :I]. Was it too long, too boring, too stupid :eek: or doesn't anyone travel to out of the way places anymore? I have been registered on this forum for about 2 weeks and have noticed a strange apathy of sorts. It seems that many individuals are browsing the various RVUSA forums, but only a handful are commenting :disapprove: . I try to be a little controversial when commenting on posting to try to stimulate other comments :evil: . What gives?

MeterMan

Utah's Red Rock Country

Thanks for the detailed info on the Ut red rock country. My wife and I have been there twice.It is our favorite place in the USA.We have
avoided UT Rt 12 because of the, as you put it, "TEST YOUR METTLE"
portions of the drive.In the RT 24 & 12 area We have only made it to Capitol Reef driving in from the north(I70).Are you aware of any
video tapes od DVD's that include actual footage of the roadway in the Grand Staircase Escalante Nat'l Monument area? If so, please
post info of where to buy same.Again, We would love to tour Rt 12,
but we believe our fear of heights problem ( can't drive up roads
that are caved out of the side of mountains )will not allow us to
make the drive even if we take our Dr prescribed "HAPPY TO FLY" PILLS.
Thanks,
MeterMan

C Nash

Utah's Red Rock Country

Hi DL, If everyone would jump in with their opinions it would be a much better site. I have been around from the begining and have seen that trend. Lots of members but mostly same posters giving opinions. Know you had a rough start but, if you will go back through all the old post you will see that most newcomers were welcome to post opinions. I for one like to hear all jump in but, do hate to see the bashing, name calling going on just because we may not agree. NO, your post was not to long, boring or stupid. Great information and we need more like it. I keep all post like that copied for the time we may get to go to those places.

DL Rupper

Utah's Red Rock Country

CNash, Thanks for your comments. I've got over my initial gripe. I feel a little bad that my first posting reopened old wounds.

Hi MeterMan, thanks for the comments. Hope you get to take Ut Rt 12 someday. It is truley breathtaking scenery. As I remember it, the road is not carved out of the side of the hill. It goes right over the hill. The biggest problem are the steep grades (mostly 1 mile or less). I wouldn't recommend anything but a high torque diesel. However, I'm sure many gas engines have done just fine. If you don't like high places you might not like the summit of route 12 in the Grand-Staircase Escalante Nat'l Monument, it is straight down on both sides of the road. There are turnouts on both sides so you can see the view. I don't know of any DVD's or videos that show footage of the road in the Grand Staircase Escalante Nat'l Monument; however the Nat'l Park Service should have DVDs at the Bryce or Capitol Reef Visitor Centers. Hope you can get there someday. Good Luck.

DL Rupper

Utah's Red Rock Country

Hey MeterMan, did you ever find any DVD's or videos on road footage (UT Rt 12) in Grand Staircase Escalante Nat'l Monument?

DL Rupper

Utah's Red Rock Country

We will be back on the road soon. Hope to see some of you out in the Red Rock area of UTAH. Happy Camping.

mountainman

Utah's Red Rock Country

Hi folks: I to am a "REDROCK" fan and will agree that it is one of the true wonders of North America. I am an avid backpacker/hiker and have traveled many mile in the "REDROCK" Country including Dark Canyon,Staircase Escalante, Owl/Fish Canyons and many of the slot canyons in that area. There are many fine USFS and Nat'l Parks campgrounds in that area. They are reasonable and allow you to be close to many of the true wonders of this country. Now mind you they don't all electric hookups and such but that is really what this country is all about "getting back to nature". Enjoy the "REDROCK" wonders and remember "Leave No Trace"

DL Rupper

Utah's Red Rock Country

Quick update! Just got back from a long extended trip (Oct 05- May 06)to TX, NM, AZ, NV, UT, CO, ID, MT and back to Ohio. The Red Rock
Country of UTAH was still the best. If you have time to see it all, make sure a side trip to Monument Valley in the 4 Corners area is included. Fantastic says it all. Also, if you get to Moab, UT, check out the rear (South of Moab) gate to Canyonlands Nat'l Park. This entrance provides a bottom up view of Canyonlands. Great scenery.

powell6

Utah's Red Rock Country

I'm new to the site but thought I would respond as I happen to live in Red Rock country. I wanted to say that you are absolutely correct about this being one of the most beautiful areas in the USA. We pack up our trailer and head out on weekend jaunts as often as possible and even though we live in the middle of this beautiful landscape (Cedar City) we're always amazed - and awed - at mother nature's grace. Definitely spend some time at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Cedar Breaks, and Right-Hand Canyon. You will not be disappointed.

csavage

RE: Utah's Red Rock Country

Thanks for the info...my planned trip to Utah this summer was screwed up by my breaking my ankle(in Utah, no less, :eek: maybe I shouldn't go...) and my hubby breaking his leg....

Come next summer we are going, tho....

By way of southern CO and Mesa Verde NP and back thru AZ, after checking out the North Rim of the Grand Canyon

DL Rupper

Hey csavage, we visited Mesa Verde Nat'l Park on our last trip (Apr 06) . Great park. Good way to get to the Red Rock Country through Co/AZ. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is the best View of the Canyon in my opinion. :)

DL Rupper

Re: Utah's Red Rock Country

Brought back by popular demand. Well Texas Clodhopper wanted to read more about "Red Rock Country". So anyway here it is. :approve:

JDHDKID

Thanks to all of you for the great info, we are looking forward to our trip to Utah and the Grand Canyon. We will be sure to check out the Red Rock Country.
Thanks JDHDKID

DL Rupper

Since it's vacation time, I thought I would revive this thread in case someone is heading to or around Southern Utah. It's a great destination. :laugh:

DL Rupper

It's Fall again and a perfect time to visit the BEST Red Rock Nat'l Parks in the U.S. :) Synergistically, Utah's Nat'l Parks beat the Grand Canyon hands down. :)

brodavid

Sounds good, got to go and see the area again,
Hey DL , still smelling good,
take care and hope to see you around

brodavid

aussie Keith

Spent a year touring the USA till a month ago and for me Utah and Arizona were the most spectacular (eighth and ninth wonders) and Southern Utah definately tops the Grand Canyon. My wife would cast her vote for Yellowstone but what would she know? She just loves the wildlife there and it was fantastic. But "Redrock Country" is unique!

G

hey Dl there was nothing wrong with u'r post ,, i my self have benn to Red rock ,, but that was many birthdays ago ,, and bty the 4corners are great ,, i lived in NM for quit a bit and seen a bunch of stuff around the 4corners area,,
Bty when u were in NM did u happen to go to Grants or Gallup???
They are the uranuim capitols of the west,,,,
Sorry just a random post :)