Wal Mart vs KOA

ARCHER

Wal Mart vs KOA

Yup (gotta start talking that way now that we will be Winter Texans). Fuel prices don't surprise me anymore. Of course, they say it is due to the price of crude by the barrel going up, but we all know the real reason the fuel prices are going up right now.....IT'S SPRING BREAK and IT'S TIME FOR THE SNOWBIRDS TO HEAD NORTH, so IT'S TIME TO GOUGE THE PUBLIC AGAIN AND BLAME THE PRICE OF OIL. I sometimes wander if they really really think we are that stupid.... :dead: , but I guess so. We will be leaving early am on the 23rd and plan on driving about 500 miles first day. That will put us just about at Greenville, Al., on I-65. Won't be stopping in Birmingham as it will be too soon that next day to pull off for night. We need to get home by late 24th or sometime early on the 25th. Dog is going down hill pretty fast and we want to get her home for her final days. Sorry we won't be able to stop and chat with you on the way. SOMEDAY maybe. As long as we keep our health and can afford to put gas in the ole gal and we still have a reasonable costing place to spend the winter, we will keep on moving down the highway. :) :laugh: :cool: ;)

Poppa

Wal Mart vs KOA

Hey guys,

I am not defending the prices of gasoline or the oil companies but I have something for you to think about :laugh: .

It costs Millions of dollars to locate oil deposits, drill for it, refine it and get it to the local stations (and keeps a lot of people in work) so we can put that smelly stuff :approve: in our motor homes and trucks and they charge us anywhere from $1.95 to $2.85 a gallon :( . AND WE RAISE 10 kinds of hell. :angry:

But yet we will go down to the local store and buy bottled water at .99 a pint or 1.50 a gallon and the companies just have to drill a small well, put in a few filters and bottling systems at the coat of a couple hndred thousand dollars :blackeye: .

I feel I get more bang for my buck with the gas and diesel, least wise it gets me somewhere down the road :cool: rather than to the pottie :blush: .

ARCHER

Wal Mart vs KOA

Poppa, no-one can argue the "fact" that gas prices go up in the spring and down in the fall. It has been doing this in my almost 60 years. Wonder why? If some-one can prove to me that it is NOT price gouging, I'd shut up, but until then, it still upsets me. Sure it costs millions to locate the oil fields and yes, it employs a lot of super folks, but that does not make it right to raise the prices when it is that time of the year when folks will be hitting the road more often, will it? By the way, I buy gallons of water from Wally world for 58 cents a gallon. :laugh:

janicenlarry

Wal Mart vs KOA

We are now seeing the inviolate law of supply and demand at work. Only way to lower prices is to either increase supply or decrease demand. Unfortunately, China is on a tear and their demand for oil has gone thru the roof (as we export more manufacturing) while the "greenies" at home stop any drilling in our backyard to increase supply. Aint no way around this equation in spite of all the BS politicians try to feed us. Frankly, I dont think full timers are really effected that much by the price of fuel. We just hunker down in a campground at $18/nite for a few more nites instead of burning $50-100/day of fuel. After all, we have all the time in the world to go no where. :cool:

Poppa

Wal Mart vs KOA

Oh I am not defending the ups and downs of gas prices because I thinks it stinks. Here in the New orleans area, the dam prices go up at Madi Gras and every time we have a home foot ball game for the loosing Saints, Jazz fest or any other big showing in the big easy.

Now if you really want something to think about, the oil companies have drilled many a well in the US way back when crude was 5 and 6 dollars a barrel and those same wells are still producing and the are claiming 40 Plus dollars a barrel, looks like a 35 dollar a barrel profit to me.

Like natural gas prices, they tapped the Tuscaloosa trend and found gas out the wazoo and turned around and capped most of the wells as being un profitable. Hmmmm make one wonder.

Anyway its too deep for my feeble mind other than the gross profits for BP were in the billions last year.

Oh well have a good one.

hertig

Wal Mart vs KOA

I get my water from a machine outside the grocery store, for .15 a gallon... I get 16 gallons at a time, and then refill the used little water bottles and have just as good (or better) water, at a fraction of the price.

ARCHER

Wal Mart vs KOA

Chelse, Just to let you know all KOAs don't charge for a monthly rate for four hours. We stayed at a KOA just off I-65 below Montgomery, Al on the way home last Wed night and it only costs me $31.00 for a 6PM until 7AM stay. It wasn't the best KOA I've ever stayed in, but it was OK. Showers were hot and clean. The site was not very level, but OK. We drove home in two days so just needed a mid break to rest and sleep. We were in kind of a hurry because of doggie's health. I promised her I'd get her home to her yard. We made it just fine. Took her to vet on Fri and he said as long as she is still able to eat, poop, pee and get up and down to just love her and hang in there with her. She had a really bad day on Sat....loosing control inside, but we think it was the food we gave her (over did it with grease). I was all set to take her in on Monday, but Sunday and Monday she seems to be doing a little better so we are delaying the end.
BY THE WAY, I DID NOT BREAK THE EGG UNDER THE GAS PEDAL AND GOT 7-8 MPG on the way home.

C Nash

Wal Mart vs KOA

Glad you made the trip ok Archer. Hope the doggie is ok. Probably met you somewhere on 65 north of Birmingham. Wish you could have made a stop at Oak Mountain State Park at Pelham which is just south of Birmingham. We were there when you passed through. Lots of folks must be staying closer to home as the cg is full most of the time and has been that way pretty well all winter on week ends. Knew that egg would do the trick if you didn't bust it :approve: :approve: :laugh: :laugh:

the_vfox

Wal Mart vs KOA

If there is another campground around, I generally pass on the KOA's. But usually they are nice places to stay. We stayed at the Abilene KOA and it was 35 a night.

:cool: