Wannabe getting frustrated

Dragonfly

First post here, please bear with me I am just venting.
We have been looking for a TT for about 6 months now and are not having any luck.
We want to buy used, if new it would be no problem, we know what floorplan we want and the size, between 18 and 22 ft. and not over 4800# GVWR so we are looking at trailer 4000# and under as our TV is a MB ML 320 with a towing capacity of 5000#
We have eliminated a number of Mfg. not going to mention which ones because I am sure there are people here who own those brands and love them. The short list of Mfg. I am looking at right now and I may be wrong but I think these are the best quality I have been seeing in used units just that none have been right for us for one reason or the other, are Keystone, Sunline, Gulfstream, Sunnybrook and some models of Dutchman, but this can change at anytime.
What I have been running into in private sales is units that have not been cared for, I am no expert but do have eyes and a nose and when you open the door of the trailer and it smells of mildew, smoke and any number of odors that cant be named it's just walk away time, and these owners thing they have gold sitting in the driveways. And as far as dealers go I find a lot are good and honest and a lot are like a 50's used car dealer. Had one show me a trailer that the dry weight was 4850# and told me I could pull it with no problem, when I said that is the weight with nothing in or on it he said I was wrong and I would have no problem, time to walk, another showed me a great little trailer he said, when we looked at it the first thing I saw was the spare tire, never used but never covered and was dry rot, the other tires had just been painted with tire dressing and was still wet, on the inside the bathroom door was covered with white contact paper and was coming loose, the stove had one burner missing and the oven was filthy, the headliner had little brown spots on it and the tape the covered the seams was all puckering, the salesman explained the spots as someone had dropped some thing on the floor and it had splashed up to the ceiling, a 7ft splash and the puckering was just due to age I thought it was from moisture and never said anything just left.
And for six months that is how it has been going, think I will pack it in till spring.

JimE

RE: Wannabe getting frustrated

Don, first of all welcome to the forum. I can share your frustration; after owning our first coach we knew everything we liked and didnt like. When we were searching for our second coach we knew exactly what we wanted and we could get it in a new floor plan but wanted a used unit. We literally were in and out of a hundred units until all of a sudden we found it. Just keep trying and you'll find what you're looking for, just dont settle for something you wont be happy with.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Wannabe getting frustrated

Don,
You need to realize that GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. That is what the axles and tires are RATED to carry. I have a new Gulf Stream Amerilite 21MB on my lot right now with a GVRW or 5,780. NOW, it only weighs 3,320. If your TV is rated to tow 5,000, you can easily tow this trailer. You might put 500lbs. of "stuff" in it.

I have a lot of folks come to my lot and go straight to the sticker on the outside, thinking they know what they are doing. The empty weight sticker is on the INSIDE kitchen cabinets and you want to look for the UVW. That is Unloaded Vehicle Weight. That gets tricky also, because RVIA told manufactures a couple of years ago they did not need to do that anymore....DUMB....most of my manufactures have gone back to the inside stickers because customers complained. If any trailer does not have that inside sticker, tell your salesman to tell you the UVW.

Dragonfly

Grandview Trailer Sa - 9/18/2010 1:29 PM

Don,
You need to realize that GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. That is what the axles and tires are RATED to carry. I have a new Gulf Stream Amerilite 21MB on my lot right now with a GVRW or 5,780. NOW, it only weighs 3,320. If your TV is rated to tow 5,000, you can easily tow this trailer. You might put 500lbs. of "stuff" in it.
[/QUOTE

OK, now you've got me confused even more. I was thinking that if the UVW was 3320 I would be able to load up to 5000# probably 4500 for a fudge factor. Can you explain why you say I could only put 500# in it. I am not questioning you on your statement I just need an explanation on how to figure out how heavy a TT I can buy and tow without a problem.
The Amerlite 21mb is one of the units I like except that is has only a gas hot water heater not a gas/electric, but if I could find a used unit in good condition that would not be a deal breaker.
I would visit your lot except your are 296 miles from where I live but it is not out of the question in the near future.

C Nash

Welcome to the forum. Think what ken was saying was you probably would only put 500 lb in the rv. Why would you want to put 4500 lbs in it :eek: Unless you are planning on doing like Lucy did in Long Long Trailer :laugh: Keep looking and you will find what you want. keep us posted

Dragonfly

C Nash - 9/19/2010 12:21 PM

Welcome to the forum. Think what ken was saying was you probably would only put 500 lb in the rv. Why would you want to put 4500 lbs in it :eek: Unless you are planning on doing like Lucy did in Long Long Trailer :laugh: Keep looking and you will find what you want. keep us posted

OK now I'm getting everyone confused with my uneducated statements. What I mean to say is that if the trailer unloaded weight is 3350 would I be safe in putting in say 1000# to bring it up to 4250# and still be under my 5000# towing capacity. Or doesn't it work that way? I doubt I would ever load a 1000# into it just want to know if I am figuring correct.

C Nash

Don, most will have a CCC listing inside. This is cargo carring capacity or how much weight you can put in them. Think Ken said they no longer do this so I am not sure. If I am understanding you yes you are correct in your thinking. thats if the rv is rated for that weight.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Yes, on that same label is the NCC...Net Carrying Capacity.

HEY, I can get you an Amerilite with the Gas/Elec. Water Heater if you want one...dealers just have to know how to get certain things....I do. It is a $100.00 option.

Dragonfly

Thanks for the info Ken, good to know. I have your web site bookmarked and check out your used trailers every couple of days. If I see something I think I can't live without I will give you a call.

Someone gave me the number of a party that has a 82 Fleetwood Prowler today but I don't think I will call, a 25 year old trailer just scares me to death, I don't need a project trailer at my age. I may be wrong but I would think unless it has been updated that there are too many things that can be worn out such as tires, brakes, pumps, heaters etc. so I think I will pass.

C Nash

I would not waste my time on a 25 yr old rv unless I had the time and dollars to work on it.

Dragonfly

Yes Chelse I tend to agree, if I was a 30 something and had nothing to do and all day to do it in and had the moony I might take on such a task but I have nothing to do all day and all day to do it in yet can never get done what I have to and have no money that I want to put into rebuilding an old rv and still have nothing but an old rv with no more value that what it was worth when I started.

C Nash

30 something would be great right now. Been washing and waxing the MH and 30 + 40 equal give out :laugh: