Water pump bad?

3DPiper

I'm not sure my water pump is working correctly.

It is a Surflo Diaphram Pump Model 100-210-3.

When I bought the RV, the pump wasn't working at all.. I pulled it out and noticed a safety switch on the front that was busted. I thought it may have busted because the pump was faulty, but on closer inspection it looked like the pump had been stepped on and the switch took most of the impact.

I replaced the switch and re-installed the pump, filled the freshwater tank, and turned on the 'pump' switch. It started, but kept getting slower and slower until it quit.

I assumed that meant it was building up pressure. I turned on sinks and showers, but no water.

I hooked up a hose to the city water connector and got water out of all the water-bound sources.

What am I missing? Is there a switch to go from freshwater tank to city water, and I have it on city water? Or is my pump just busted..?

Thanks

-Matthew

Kirk

Re: Water pump bad?

The description that you give does sound as though your pump is working properly. You could check the pump by removing it from the system and put just a short tube on the suction side then supply power and see if it pumps water. If it does, then block the water outlet and see if it turns off.

As to valves that need to be aligned, to know the answer to that one would have to know what make and model the RV is, and also if a previous owner might have modified something.

First, make sure that you have it installed properly. I assume that you were careful to connect the suction side to the tank supply and the outlet to the water system? Trace that outlet side as far as you can to see where it goes. Check to see if there is a selector valve to choose between the pump or the city connection as a water source. About the only way to be sure is to trace the lines physically. Some water systems have a check valve on the outlet so make sure that if you have one it is installed properly. Since the pump is designed to act as a check valve, it could even be removed.

If the pump is located where you have good access to it, turn it off and then remove the water line from the outlet. Place some type of tube on the outlet so that the water will pump outside, or into a sink and then supply power and turn on the pump. Once you have it pumping, bend that hose to pinch it(assuming that it is well attached to the pump outlet) and stop the water to see if the pump stops. If that works it then means that the problem is in some other location.

3DPiper

The description that you give does sound as though your pump is working properly. You could check the pump by removing it from the system and put just a short tube on the suction side then supply power and see if it pumps water. If it does, then block the water outlet and see if it turns off.

Does the pump have to have a water source to pump? Will it pump (or at least run) dry (just to see if it is working)?

As to valves that need to be aligned, to know the answer to that one would have to know what make and model the RV is, and also if a previous owner might have modified something.

I did some more exploring, and it looks like the city water hookup goes directly into the same cold-water line that is the output of the waterpump. There is no tank/city switch..

First, make sure that you have it installed properly. I assume that you were careful to connect the suction side to the tank supply and the outlet to the water system? Trace that outlet side as far as you can to see where it goes. Check to see if there is a selector valve to choose between the pump or the city connection as a water source. About the only way to be sure is to trace the lines physically. Some water systems have a check valve on the outlet so make sure that if you have one it is installed properly. Since the pump is designed to act as a check valve, it could even be removed.

The pump is hooked up correctly.. A white line comes into the IN side, and a grey line leaves the OUT side..

If the pump is located where you have good access to it, turn it off and then remove the water line from the outlet. Place some type of tube on the outlet so that the water will pump outside, or into a sink and then supply power and turn on the pump. Once you have it pumping, bend that hose to pinch it(assuming that it is well attached to the pump outlet) and stop the water to see if the pump stops. If that works it then means that the problem is in some other location.

I'll try that right now..

It is strange.. Since I've hooked it up, it only worked that one time.. I can't get it to come on again.. I have even bypassed the safety switch and hooked it up direct.. I even tried hooking it up directly to a battery, and it will not start again.

Maybe it was bad afterall?

Thanks Kirk!

-Matthew

3DPiper

RE: Water pump bad?

I pulled the pump out and hooked it directly up to a battery. With it running, I put the inlet into a glass of water.. No water came out the other side..

It's dead, Jim..

-Matthew

Kirk

Too bad that you had already bought the switch. These are a diaphragm type pump and running dry for a few minutes will not harm them. Excessive run time dry will.