Water Pump Question

scottb80

With all the work I've done to my freshwater system, I'm a little paranoid. I noticed that when I have my pump on that after it pressurizes the system it shuts off as it should. But then about every 45 seconds, it turns back on for two seconds. I don't know if this is different from before I started the work, or if as I said, I'm paranoid now. I've gone over the system with a magnifying glass and there are no leaks, so I assume the pressure is bleeding off through the pump. How often does your pump cycle when you're not using water? I was considering buying an accumulator tank, but didn't know if they were worth the expense.

scottb80

whitey;75081 said:
Is your ICE maker filling up?
Don't have an ice maker in the RV. I suspect that the check valve on the pump is leaking. I downloaded the exploded parts diagram and may order the parts on Monday.

Pancanbob

Hi Scott
Sounds like you check valve on the pump is leaking back into the supply line.
one quick way to check this ... is to close the supply valve just before the pump...
You said it starts every 45 seconds, so you should be able to tell right away, if the pump starts water is going somewhere, open the valve immediately.
You don't want to let the pump to run dry.
On my unit the presser switch is on the pump, and I've never hear my pump running without a tap being open.
You can get re-build kits for most pumps...
As for an "accumulator tank" it will take longer for the pressure to bleed down, to the point where the pump will stare and running long
If your system working (No leaks) you really don't need one, IMHO
Hope this helps
Take care

akjimny

Like Bob said, you have a backflow preventer valve on your pump that is leaking. Once the pump gets up to pressure and stops, water is seeping back and the pump starts again. I had the same problem with mine after it had set up for a while. Lucky for me, I ran enough water thru it to flush whatever was causing the valve to not shut completely (hard water deposits????) and now it works fine. IMHO an accumulator tank is not worth the expense or hassle to install. Post back and let us know what you find out. Good Luck.:):)

G

sometimes ,, the pump will come on like u say ,, if u have a leak ,, i would ck for a leak somewhere first ,, then go from there ,, i had a leak in mine that i did not even know about ,, i don;t use the tank that much so i didn't really notice it ,, but i should have taken the wife's word for it when she said " we have small grass and small mushrooms under the sink " well i found it this October ,, it was the line behind the shower ,, all is fixed now thatnks to the great folks at Sea Tech for the fittings they have to cap off lines ,, well anyway good luck ,, hope u find out the prob soon :)

scottb80

I've solved my pump problem! I replaced the check valve in my Surflow pump and it got better, but not perfect. Pump came on about every two minutes or so. So, I started looking closer and found a very very small leak at the toilet inlet. Once that was corrected, my pump now comes on, and stays off until someone turns on a tap.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Steve H

Hony Abe;75332 said:
Well if the puddle was green, orange, red, pink (one of the colors) it would be coolant not just water. the water pump will have weep hole use a mirror and look under the water pump and see if it is wet if it is then you'll need new pump. price depends on engine also either 4.7 L or 5.7L and you will need to have coolant added too.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe the OP is referring to the fresh water pump for his RV system.