Waterpump replacement on 1988 GM Class C

DougP

My GM based Class C, w/5.7L V8, needs a new waterpump. I know vans be hard to work on, but I was told
labor and parts was $400....ouch. Does anybody have any suggestions, on where to take Bessy
or this repair. At a little more reasonable price than that. I live near I-95 and the I-10, in Jacksonville.

I can drive her a few miles, if I fill the radiator with water before I leave. But don't think I should be making a long drive. Any suggestions?

C Nash

Re: Waterpump replacement on 1988 GM Class C

Doug. I can understand the ouch on the dollars but it's probably about a normal charge. You can probably ck around and find a cheaper price but not familiar with that area. Should be able to find a local that would do it for around 285/300. Ask around for a good mechanic and get several estimates, Cheaper is not always best so ck out the shop or mechanic that will be doing the work. Local people should be able to direct you to a good shop.

H2H1

GO TO NAPA or any chevy dealer and buy the part and then get someone to install it. BTW get some good antifreeze to put back in it

JimE

RE: Waterpump replacement on 1988 GM Class C

Hollis is right, you dont have any way around the labor but you can save on parts. Ask the mechanic what the parts costs are. Sometimes they get a heck of a deal and sometimes they can really turn the screws on the mark up. I have shopped around and saved considerable $$ this way.

vanole

DougP,

Back from my days stationed at Cecil Field their used to be a place on the West side called Beauchamps off of 103rd st (near Hillman Ave) who did pretty darn good work at a reasonable rate.

Jeff