Weight and balance

samandjohn

Hello all, just bought my first new toy hauler. I plan on hauling my side by side in the back. I have weight distribution bars and sway bars on a 2 5/16 hitch. Dry weight is 5262 and GVWR is 7,668. This gives me a cargo weight of 2,406. Side by side weighs 1700 lbs. This is my first toy hauler and want to make sure I’m getting the weight and balance correct. Any suggestions for this new guy would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

helloDog

Hitch weight of 10% covers a lot of it. This is weight before you put the WDH on. The WDH can balance the load better and smooth out the ride, but will not increase what you can carry.
Keeping the weight loaded onto the trailer centered helps (centered front to back, not on the ends). Weight over the trailer's axles is better than away from the axles too. When weight is say, at the end of the trailer, far from the axle, you can get trailer sway. All this is magnified when you might hit a big bump that bounces the vehicle and trailer, which will load and unload your steering axle.
There is a way to weigh the trailer tongue weight with only a bathroom scale and some 2x4s for leverage. I wont attempt to describe it here bc you can internet search for it and get details, but knowing an approx weight of hitch will help you decide how to load up.