weight and safe towing

cashinob

Hello Everyone,
Let me introduce myself, My name is cashinob and I'm a new owner of a used trailer.
Just purchased a 82 Wilderness by fleetwood that needs work (Water damage).
My question is how do i find out the weight and what hitch to use for the safest towing?
My tow vehicle is an 89 jeep cherokee 4.0 and it has a class 3 hitch rated @5,500 lbs.
I'm thinking of buying a weight dist hitch or a different tow vehicle any help is much appreciated.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: weight and safe towing

Hello and welcome to the forum.

There should be a weight ticket in one of your kitchen cabinets, if it has not been removed. On that label you will find UVW. That means Unit Vehicle Weight. Not sure if it will show you tongue weight or not, I don't think so. Usually that is 10-15% of the total weight. The absolute way to know is to take it to a weigh station.

As far as hitch recommendations, I would have to know the above figures to better advise you. Get back to us.

cashinob

I don't have the label on the inside cabinet, I did find one on the outside of the trailer but do to it's age the markings are gone. Guess I'll have to take to a scale and find out that way.

LEN

Scale is the easiest way. And don't forget the xtras like wate,r food, cloths, BBQ, propane, and people all go into the weight computation.

LEN