Weight of slide out.

frederick

How much weight does the typical slide out add to a class A?

Not sure if selling my 2000 Class A and paying 10 K more for a
another one of the same year with a slide would be worth it as
our dime is pretty thin.

I guess it depends how much I value the extra room. I would think
there would be more air leaks and maintenace with one.

We would be living in this unit 6 to 8 months out of the year. If
money was no object, I wouldn't even have a question.

Your thoughts, thank you.

Fred from Pasco, Wa. ;)

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Weight of slide out.

The weight is going to depend on how big it is.

Look up the values of your MH and the one your looking at and see if NADA has a 10K value difference for a 2000 year model. I sort of doubt it. You can go to www.nadaguides.com and see the retail for your self. DON'T add any extras, just look at the base value. If your trading at a dealership, they are trading at Trade In value and you dont see that online.

C Nash

Fred, Sounds like a lot of difference for same year. A lot depends of the make of the rvs. A MH w/o the slide will also be harder for the dealer to move IMO. Yes a slide is something else to give problems. Seals, adjustments, electrical and another area to leak. If I had a 40 footer I might could do w/o the slide. Only you cam make the decision of space needed.

JimE

RE: Weight of slide out.

The difference is worth every penny. My wife and I traveled in a Winnebago with no slides for 4 years and then updated to our current model with two slides and we could never go back. The difference is huge in my opinion.

H2H1

I have to agree with JimE, I have also had a TT with out sides and it was a nightmare, just no room. We now have 36'MH with 3 slides and I would never go back with any less. But that is my opinion. ALSO do as Ken has recommended go look it up and see what it is worth.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Jim and Hollis, I never said that slides were not worth the money....he said he was looking at the SAME model year...a 2000. What I was saying, is for the SAME model year $10,000 is a LOT of difference. NOW, if he were moving up a few years in age, I would not question 10K....but for the same model year?????? I don't know about that.

C Nash

I was also talking about the same year model. Yes I would tell anyone that a slide is worth the extra but they do add weight if that's an issue. There are also those that don't want a slide so it is just up to each person to decide.

H2H1

Sorry Ken, I was not saying anything negative about your comment. I also told him to follow your recommending and go look it up. But I have owned a TT with out a slide and I would never go back. Again, I think you are right, 10k is a lot to shell out for "A" slide on the same year and model

Triple E

I have had both. The motor home I have now does not have a slide. To be honest the only time I miss the slide is when the grandkids travel with us, which is all of the time.

G

well don't feel bad ,, Triple E ,, mine does not have any slides either ,, nor did the one before ,, but if i may say one thing ,, and JMO ,, but if u stay at one place a very long time ,, i think IMO ,, i would invest in a slideout support to help keep the slideout true on the tracts ,, but as i said JMO ;) :) :)

Grandview Trailer Sa

Actually, in a travel trailer or 5th wheel, you don't want the supports...the weight of the slide is how they stay weather proof. Maybe MH slides are different.

C Nash

Guess it would depend on how heavy the person sitting in the slide is :eek: :laugh:

vanole

My M/H recommends no support either like Nash's.

One thing on slides my first M/H had 1 slide (roadside) 22ft by 24". That coach was and still is the smartest desined coach I've seen or owned. Nice thing about it is that when slide was in you could still live in and use all appliance and facilites. Bed went north and south. It was a dream on long hauls just pull over and get some rest.

Present M/H with slides in it is a difficult but not impossible to walk from front to rear but a pain to try to get some shut eye in the rack (east/west) w/o slide extended. Opening refrig doors is PITA also.

Jeff

frederick

Sorry I'm late for a response. The 10 K difference
between my MH and one with a slide out would be on a
upper end model. And or a longer one. Like a 2000
Holiday Rambler. I need to wind the power ball.
Thanks for the imput.

Fred from Pasco, Wa.

:laugh:

Kirk

A slied is much like power windows on a car. If you have never had one, you can do just fine without it. Once you have had one most people consider it a necessity. We spent 11 years fulltime in a 36', slide free motorhome and only wished for one when grandchildren were with us. We just went back to owning a home base and living outside of the RV part time, and the space is nice, but we will be ready to get back on the road when spring comes. And we still don't have any slides!