What can I tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi?

Discussion in 'Towables' started by BobB, Feb 17, 2013.

1. BobB

BobB Junior Member

Trying to figure out what I can tow with the GC. Officially, this truck can handle 7400lb worth of trailers but somehow I doubt it - some of them are really long and heavy!

So REALISTICALLY, what sized TT can I tow with this truck?
  2. krsmitty

krsmitty Senior Member

I towed my first TT with a 2002 JGCL (4.7). The TT was a Ameri-Lite 24', 5000lbs. The Jeep was rated to tow 10,000 pounds.
    I WOULD not do again. IMHO the Jeep had to small of a wheel base for towing. Even with a WD/sway bar hitch the wind and semis moved it around quit a bit. Granted, you have the bigger motor, which would help in some ways. And I was using a bottom line WD hitch. The only way I would consider it is with a GOOD hitch setup, such as a Reese, Hensley etc.
  3. BobB

BobB Junior Member

Thanks for the response.

If I choose to go this way, I would buy a premium hitch setup, probably from one of the ones you mentioned above.

Also, I checked the wheelbase of the current JGC - it isn't that much shorter than trucks like Tahoe and Expedition, but its length is quite a bit shorter. I guess the wheelbase is more important than the overall length? But JGC is quite a bit lighter, which might be an issue as far as towing is concerned.

So a 24' trailer is not recommended for tow by a 2013 JGC?
  4. C Nash

C Nash Senior Member

Where will you be towing and how often? While the GC would not be a favorite tow vichile for me with the proper set up you should be able to handle a 24 footer light weight. Short weekend trips and not many mountains. I would stay under 5K and watch how it is loaded. Be sure the braking system is properly adjusted and watch your speed. AJMO
  5. BobB

BobB Junior Member

Oops, for some reason, I didn't get the notification for the response.

We will be towing mostly northern NY, Michigan, and Ontario. But we may also try the Rockies.
  6. C Nash

C Nash Senior Member

Hmm Rockies I dont know and looks like you plan on a lot of miles towing. Have to remember you also have to add all the weight in the Jeep into the total package. Can you do it ? Probably but think I would look into a better tow vehickle. Just remember it JMO.
  7. BobB

BobB Junior Member

I guess I will end up doing around 3-4k miles per year, except for that Rockies trip if we choose to do this. In couple of years, we will go full-time so eventually, we will get a HD truck + 5w. But before that, we want to try 1 or 2 weeks long trips, visiting places probably around 300 - 500miles away from our home.