What size generator

Bounder Boy

Friend asked me a question and I don't know the answer, but figured someone on here might.

How do you figure out what size generator to buy for boondocking with a TT? Most are rated in watts, but is there some kind of conversion or rule of thumb that this number can be converted to how many amps ones various appliances would draw?

JUST A FOR INSTANCE..... if all my major appliances and tv and lights would add up to say 200 amps then I would need a minimum 3000 watt generator? Or am I looking at it in all the wrong way.

Thanks
BB

Bounder Boy

Re: What size generator

Quick look at that site tells me I would need about a 48,975 watt ! for all the crap we run. HA HA just kidding. Thanks Chelse for the link.
BB

C Nash

John, think you better just stick to where you have shore power :laugh:

H2H1

I think a Honda 3000si will do what you need it to do. I doubt you will be running everything you have at the same time. I have seem them at race tracks and they do a great job running the refrig, and lights and air conditions.But you will have to share it with other high drawing amp appliances such as a coffe poy , microwave. electric frying pan. Thses items draw alot of amps. Good luck

Bounder Boy

Thanks all for the info and links, now at least I can steer my buddy in the right direction and I have learned something in the process also..... Life is Good ! :cool:

G

IMO .. go with bigger then u will need ,, that way u have the piece of mind ,, that no matter what ,, u will always have enough genset power ,, plus u never know ,, when u might have to help a friend out ,, and give him some needed power also ,, but agian ,, JMO

Grandview Trailer Sa

I use a Honda 3000SI. I run my current 30 amp 5th wheel just fine. We just know what we can and get away with. Now if the AC is on, we can't run the Microwave and a hair dryer, but we just cut the AC off for a few minutes.

With the bigger generator that Rod mentions, you have to consider how to move it or carry it. With a TT, you don't usually have a generator compartment and you will have to carry it in your truck or on a carrier on the back...so size is a consideration. The Honda 3000 is just about all I want to lift and handle.

G

well u know me ,, me Ken ,, sorry i was thinking ,, more in the lines of a MH ,, sorry ,, i won't do it agian :eek: :) :)