What truck to buy....

Well its time to retire the ole' '93 Suburban. It's got over 250k on it and its just not worth to keep it going. Major brake job is over a $2,000 nut...plus tranny feels sloppy.

So we're at a crossroads here. My trailer is not that big; 27 foot, about 5500 lbs. So our next truck will be a 3/4 ton, but the big question is do we go to a diesel? Pros: unlimited towing power, better mileage, cheaper fuel, and longer engine life. Cons: More expensive up front (we're buying used with about a $20-25K budget) and higher maintenance cost.

But my BIGGEST concern is, I read all sorts of horror stories from diesel owners about "lemons", that end up costing them tens of thousands in engine repairs, not to mention countless days in the garage. My wife and I seem to have the worst luck when it comes to lemons. I've never owned a diesel so don't know much about them.

So...whats the general consensus on diesels? Please stay away from the whole "Fords vs GM's vs Dodges". I have no favorites when it comes to manufacturers. I've had lemons and beauties from all of them.

The truck will be used to haul our trailer for at least half a dozen times a year...with one long haul (2,000 miles or so). The rest of the time it will be wifey's truck for school and shopping

Suggestions, comments and most of all reassurance.....terrified of buying the wrong vehicle.

Triple E

Re: What truck to buy....

When GM first came out with their diesel it was a lemon. In today's market most of the diesel have been proven. My first choice is diesel. Question is will your wife like it. Diesel pumps at the station are dirty and the handle is always oily so she will have to wear gloves to fill the tank. Also some women do not like the smell of a diesel. But as you said you have the pulling power. Just make sure you keep the filter changed and drive it like a diesel and not a gas. Have fun checking out new rigs. :cool:

Triple E - 6/26/2010 10:15 AM

When GM first came out with their diesel it was a lemon. In today's market most of the diesel have been proven. My first choice is diesel. Question is will your wife like it. Diesel pumps at the station are dirty and the handle is always oily so she will have to wear gloves to fill the tank. Also some women do not like the smell of a diesel. But as you said you have the pulling power. Just make sure you keep the filter changed and drive it like a diesel and not a gas. Have fun checking out new rigs. :cool:

"Drive it like a diesel"?......how so?

as for my wife...if it was up to her, she'd choose a lifted, 1-ton dually diesel 4x4....she LOVES big trucks.

I'm going to look at this one today, do you see anything that might raise a red flag? Price..mileage...etc: http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...arait-superduty-FX4-DIESEL-W0QQAdIdZ212470659

H2H1

Calgary Dave be sure to get a complete car fax on the truck to see if their is some underline reason it is for selling

LEN

Make sure it is the new motor as in the early 2000's for diesels had a bad problem. Do a search Google and you can find out which years are bad.

LEN

Triple E

Calgary Dave - 6/26/2010 9:22 AM
Triple E - 6/26/2010 10:15 AMWhen GM first came out with their diesel it was a lemon. In today's market most of the diesel have been proven. My first choice is diesel. Question is will your wife like it. Diesel pumps at the station are dirty and the handle is always oily so she will have to wear gloves to fill the tank. Also some women do not like the smell of a diesel. But as you said you have the pulling power. Just make sure you keep the filter changed and drive it like a diesel and not a gas. Have fun checking out new rigs. :cool:
"Drive it like a diesel"?......how so? as for my wife...if it was up to her, she'd choose a lifted, 1-ton dually diesel 4x4....she LOVES big trucks. I'm going to look at this one today, do you see anything that might raise a red flag? Price..mileage...etc: http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-SUVs-trucks-vans-pickup-trucks-2004-Ford-F-350-diesel-crew-cab-larait-superduty-FX4-DIESEL-W0QQAdIdZ212470659[/QUOTE].

"NEW BALL JOINTS TIE RODS AND SWAY BAR BUSHINGS ALL DONE LAST WEEK". Why so soon?

What I mean, I always let the diesel warm up before taking off and I never shut if off after a hard run, let it idle for a while. Diesel run at a lower RPM, typically around 1800 rpm's. Use the best oils and filters, all filters. Be sure to, if not already, install a water filter separator. Install one that has a pump on it so if you run out of fuel, priming will be easier. JMHO. ;)

akjimny

Steve, my 2007 Ford E450 motorhome chassis had to have the upper and lower ball joints and bushings replaced at 47,000 miles. Must be a problem to Fords overall. But I still like Fords. Must be a glutton for punishment. :laugh: :laugh: