What type of fuel tanks does a 1976 Ford E350 use?

DerekVS

Hi.

I really don't want to explode while driving, so I'd like to replace both of my leaking (at the weld seams) fuel tanks on my 1976 Coachmen Leprechaun. It's based on a Ford E350 Van with a 460cid engine.

When I look up replacement tanks at auto parts stores and web sites, they seem to be designed for use behind the rear axle. Well, that's where my holding tanks are hanging!

Both of my fuel tanks are in front of the rear axle, with the aux. in front of the main.

I'd like to just order a couple of replacements, but since Coachmen apparently modified the stock vehicle tank configuration, how would I know what to order?

Does anyone recommend using universal tanks with a universal mounting system? If that's a consideration, does anyone offer a single large tank as an alternative to two, so I no longer need to switch between two tanks and wonder which one has old fuel left in it?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you,
-Derek

akjimny

Re: What type of fuel tanks does a 1976 Ford E350 use?

Hi Derek and welcome to the RVUSA forum. Unfortunately you are working with a 34 year old chassis. I doubt you will be able to find a ready-made tank. Your best bet would be to have one custom made to fit the space in your undercarriage. The other alternative is to have the leaks welded shut then pour in a liquid tank sealer. Either way probably won't be cheap. Good luck and let us know how things work out.