Where to stay in Atlanta GA

SnowbirdInFlight

I'm trying to find a place to camp in East Point, GA when we go visit our daughter. I'm having a hard time finding anything. There isn't even a KOA near Atlanta. Help!

h2ojoe

Re: Where to stay in Atlanta GA

Hi Snowbird, East Point in on the south side of Atlanta and, like many big cities, does not have much in the way of campgrounds. You usually have to get out of the city a ways. Try this link: http://www.yellowpages.com/Atlanta-...om=gglgeo1atltlod_camping_atlanta+campgrounds
It looks like a YMCA (with a campground?). You might give them a call to inquire about rv camping. It looks close to East Point. Otherwise you may have to camp outside the city. Best of luck.

WandaLust

RE: Where to stay in Atlanta GA

SnowbirdInFlight - 3/9/2009 12:28 AM I'm trying to find a place to camp in East Point, GA when we go visit our daughter. I'm having a hard time finding anything. There isn't even a KOA near Atlanta. Help!

We couldn't find anything either. When we visit my relatives down there just south of Atlanta this summer, we have to park our TT in their large yard and run an electric line out to it. You would think the way Atlanta is built up there would be many campgrounds surrounding the city.

H2H1

Snowbird I just looked at my KOA directory and u are right. I will look at private camp grounds and get back to u.

H2H1

Snowbird do a search for GA STATE PARKS, on the left side is a link to all the parks in GA this may be a helpful.

SnowbirdInFlight

Well, I finally found a campground! My daughter's husband (a Major in the Army and an Aide to a 3 star General) is stationed at Fort McPherson and it turns out they got housing on base instead of East Point. So I have been searching like crazy to find something within a reasonable distance of their house. Finally I came upon the Jones RV Park. It is only 22 miles from their house and has full hook-ups and is far enough outside of Atlanta to be quiet. Plus the price isn't too bad if you stay a week, which we are. We'll be there at the end of this month so I will let you guys know how it is as a campground in case anyone else needs to stay there in the future. You would think with the bases located there in Atlanta that there would be a lot more RV Parks.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help!

SnowbirdInFlight

Well, even though this RV Park is in Norcross, GA it is still right in the thick of Atlanta. We are right next to I85 which has six - seven lanes of traffic. However, it is far enough away to be surprisingly quiet. They have long-term sites and 14 day sites. The short term sites are all apx 20 foot by 100 foot, and are pull thru sites. So plenty of room to pull thru and stay hooked-up if only staying one night. I would stay here again and would reccomend this place if you ever need a place to stay while seeing the sites in Atlanta. Can't critique the shower/bath house because we don't use. Also don't know how the office is because it is closed on Sat and Sun so we checked ourselves in using the envelope and form provided.

I would give it a four out of five star rating only because the sites are gravel/dirt and not level.