Which campground club is the best?

SnowbirdInFlight

Which campground club is the better of these two? Passport America or Campclub USA?

Any experience with either? I already have Good Sam's and KOA.

Since we are going to Maine and there aren't many military campgrounds up in the northeast, I want all the help I can get with the civilian campgrounds. So, anyone know anything about either of these?

Janeen

C Nash

Re: Which campground club is the best?

Janeen we use Passport America and it has paid for itself and more. Most will only allow one to several nights stay but if they are not busy some will allow longer stays. Hard to find any that will honor on holidays. Have not had any problems where it was accepted. Great to have when traveling IMO

SnowbirdInFlight

C Nash - 6/23/2009 9:07 PM Janeen we use Passport America and it has paid for itself and more. Most will only allow one to several nights stay but if they are not busy some will allow longer stays. Hard to find any that will honor on holidays. Have not had any problems where it was accepted. Great to have when traveling IMO

Thanks Chelse, I thought that's the one I've seen most mentioned but while doing a Yahoo search, the other one came up and said it gives 50% discounts too. Just didn't know how many campgrounds honored that one.

We will probably only stay one night at any given campground, unless of course we see something really interesting and want to stay longer. So, hopefully we can get some cheap stays this mini-trip. Can't wait to try some fresh Maine lobster!
17.gif

C Nash

Janeen, most of the cgs we used would accept both of the programs.

Kirk

We have used Passport America exclusively for many years. I find that most of the RV sites that are found in one the other as well.

DL Rupper

We use the Passport America and have saved lots of $$$$. However, when we went to Maine 2 years ago we found that PA or any other 50% off membership RV parks were few and far between in the Northeast U.S.

We paid $1000/month in Scarsborough, and $900/month in Booth Bay, Maine for typical ordinary RV parks. The RV parks close to or in Bar Harbor were running $60 to $80/night.

If you get to down east Maine (Canadian border) we stayed at Sunset Point RV Park ($31/night) in Lubec, ME. It's a great little RV park, but doesn't have sewer connections at the RV sites. It does have a dump station. From Lubec you can cross a bridge to Campabello Island, Canada and see the FDR family summer cottage. It's huge, but the very rich call them cottages. It's a good place to tour for free. ;)

SnowbirdInFlight

Well, I went ahead and joined Passport Americal. But, I will say this; their directory software sucks! You would think as much as they charge for a membership that they could hire some decent software designers to produce a good CD. The software is soooo slow and more like something that would have been designed 20 years ago. Good Sam's directory is soooo much better. Oh well, hopefully I can get used to using it. I'll probably wish I had gotten the paper directory instead. :angry: :( :dead:

kmsavage1

I use the web site. Find it works better than the Cd and like it better than the booklet.

C Nash

We also use their website. Their booklet is outdated and you can't depend on it. They do send updates when renewing but just a headace keeping up with the seperate pages.

Kirk

Since we seldom know where we will stop for the night until we are well into our day, we just pick our site from the paper book. Not difficult at all and has served us very well.

utmtman

We are members of Camp Club USA and joined it the first of the summer but so far it has been no good. The two rv parks I have been to which were both PA and CCU did not accept either one during the height of the summer. So I am wondering what good are those passes. I had PA once before but after a year of finding dumpy rv parks or rv parks way off the beaten path I quit them and have never gone back. The park I am in now is not very good either I have never been able to level my rv its on just too much of an incline and they said they had no other site and I dont have the money to go elsewhere. Also the sites are so close together one cannot breathe.
We hope we will have better luck down the road. Also I have found that both clubs use the same parks. I should have known better but I had hoped they had improved.

C Nash

All the passport America parks we stayed except one were very nice. Most will not accept in peak season though. We did travel down the west coast to the keys and back up the east coast of FL during peak season. We managed to use Passport America by planning ahead. Some were very tight spaces which is to be expected in Fl. Only one so so cg .