winnebago make a big click but nothink else

Discussion in 'General RVing' started by banban, May 21, 2006.

  1. banban

    banban New Member

    Hello everyone,
    I am new to this forum, I bought a winnebago with a 454 engine in it couple of month ago, it is a winnebago brave with 54000 miles on it. The previous owner bought it new but had it sit for couple of year while building his house. I went to California with it but when I came back I was hearing a metal noise just behind the fan. A mechanic told me on the way that my alternator might be bad. Couple of days ago, I tried to start the engine and could not, the batteries are fully loaded and the only think I hear is a good click when I turn the key but nothing else. Would my bad alternator be the cause? I mean with a bad alternator I should still be able to start the engine but would not be able to keep the battery charged.
    Could it be a bad starter/solenoid? It never overheated so I assume the water pump is not bad...
    Please I need help...someone give me the solution of my problem
    thak you
    Banban
     
  2. gezzer

    gezzer New Member

    winnebago make a big click but nothink else

    If your engine battery is in fact fully charged, it sounds like a starter problem. I would first ck. the battery,ck. all conections and make sure they are clean, and make sure they are snug. With that done, it would be most logical that you have a starter problem. The 454 exhust pipe runs right by the starter and can shorten it life because of the heat it gives off. Good Luck
     
  3. Krazeehorse

    Krazeehorse New Member

    winnebago make a big click but nothink else

    My 84 Winnie has a relay between the ignition switch and the starter. It is on top of the motor and I believe it's function is to disable the a/c (if it's on) while turning the motor over so the starter isn't turning the compressor too. I had a failure at that terminal that wouldn't let the switch energize the solenoid and therefore the rig wouldn't turn over. When the key was turned to the start position this relay would click and that's all you would hear.
     
  4. highlife4me03

    highlife4me03 New Member

    winnebago make a big click but nothink else

    Could definately be a bad cable. A bad power or ground cable may show 12 volts but no current passes thru. Check this by removing powver cable from starter and striking it against frame. If there is a good spark then you know you are getting current to the starter. I just made this repair on another vehicle today.
     
  5. Krazeehorse

    Krazeehorse New Member

    winnebago make a big click but nothink else

    The positive cable goes straight to the starter on the Chevy. But good spark there doesn't indicate you are getting power to the hot terminal on the solenoid (mount on the GM starter) when the switch is turned. It depends on where the "clicking is coming from". Good chance it's a bad starter. The BB's are kinda hard on 'em.
     
  6. AnotherRookie

    AnotherRookie New Member

    winnebago make a big click but nothink else

    How did you confirm that the batteries are fully charged? You can operate a lot of things but still not have enough of a charge to crank the starter over. If you can confirm that you are sending the full 12+ volts to the starter, I would be sure to have the starter tested before you replace it. Same with the alternator. If you are not completely familiar with the electrical system, I would leave it to a qualified technician to do the diagnosis and repair. One wrong step and you could mess up a lot of expensive stuff.
     
  7. AnotherRookie

    AnotherRookie New Member

    winnebago make a big click but nothink else

    How did you confirm that the batteries are fully charged? You can operate a lot of things but still not have enough of a charge to crank the starter over. If you can confirm that you are sending the full 12+ volts to the starter, I would be sure to have the starter tested before you replace it. Same with the alternator. If you are not completely familiar with the electrical system, I would leave it to a qualified technician to do the diagnosis and repair. One wrong step could mess up a lot of expensive stuff.
     

Share This Page