winnebago

sharonh67

Hi! I'm new to this forum. Just bought an 85 Winnebago Chieftan. Paid 9,000 for it - new engine 10,000 miles ago. Does that seem like an ok price? Guess I should have asked that BEFORE I bought!

hertig

winnebago

Hard to say. If it is one of the longer models with lots of options, it could be a good price. On the other hand, a shorter model with few options could be worth much less. To get an idea of value, go to www.nadaguides.com You will have to use 1986 values, as that is as far back as they go. I'd use the 'low Retail' value and consider that an UPPER limit (there seems to be a lot of room for bargaining on RVs). Or go to the library (or your bank) and use their Kelly Blue Book/NADA Guide etc; you may find one which goes back that far. Keep in mind that this is off season for buying RVs and you should generally be able to get one for less than it is 'worth' during this period.

Gary B

winnebago

Hi Sharonh67, you didn't say what length of Winne you got, welcome to Rving & to the forum.Its sounds like a pretty good deal considering the new engine, enjoy. :) :cool: :approve: :bleh:

sharonh67

winnebago

I checked out that website, and based on the knowledge I have of what it's got, I seemed to do pretty good. It has a pretty big fridge with a freezer on top, shower, toilet, yada, yada, yada, this probaly bores you all, but I am very excited! Need to fix an exhaust leak (are those pretty common?), and put a new alternator belt on it since the old one was squeaking. It has this front end shock system of sorts (don't know real name of system yet) that makes a bouncing kind of sound when we are not in motion. Is anyone familiar with this? Last night we took it for our first "ride". Went to the local Pizza Hut and had them deliver it to the parking lot. :laugh:
Thanks for the info!

shay

sharonh67

winnebago

Opps, I'm sorry, it's 27ft. I have 2 sons who are in boy scouts, and they go to out-of-state camps every year, and I have never really enjoyed camping (tent), I guess that is because my parents never took us as kids. Since I like spending time with my kids and seeing new places I figured this would make it a lot easier on me! We are in Wisconsin - heading to uuper state New York this summer with the troop.