Winter RVing

ROCK 7

Hello All,
Me and my spouse recently purchased a 2010 Keystone Cougar and we would like to know if it would be harmful to our unit if we used it for family visits during the winter months. We currently reside in Missouri and we would more than likely travel to Oklahoma and Arkansas during the winter season. Any tips or tricks would be helpful. The unit is a bumper pull 26 BRS.

Thanks

LEN

Re: Winter RVing

WE have used all types of RV's winter long, that said we do things a little different in really cold weather like snow bound hunting. Winterize the unit then carry jugs of water for use rather than the water system in the unit. Keeping anti-freeze in the sink and shower traps. A bit of anti-freeze in the black tank and use jugged water for flushing. If the water tank is in the unit not under, then use it but keep heat on to prevent freeze-up but look where pipes are routed to be able to keep heat on them. Sounds like you would sleep in and maybe the night time potty and with the heat on this would be fine. I have been in cold enough weather in a slide-in camper that the water froze in the camper but the pipes were drained so no problem.

LEN

Kirk

Using it in winter is not a big deal, especially if the weather don't get too cold. Does your trailer have enclosed, heater waste tanks? Is there heat in all areas where fresh water lines run? If both answers are yes then you are good to go. If not, you might need to do as Len suggests. Also, does it have dual pane windows? If not you may want to winterize them in some way as it will make it more difficult to heat when temperatures go down near 0. The key issue is just how cold it gets. If the temperatures get very cold then it will become difficult to be comfortable unless you have extra insulation in the RV.

ROCK 7

Thanks all for the useful information. I thought that the polar package was a good idea, but I see from some of the other posts throughout the forum they seem to suggest otherwise. Thanks again