Wintering in Alaska

whitey

Hey akjimmy; I see you are going to stay in Alaska this winter? I hope you have a warm igloo to live in this winter. Carolyn and I would like to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I hope i can make one of the M&G and be able tto meet everone someday.

akjimny

Thanks Whitey. We bought a fixer-upper sticks and bricks here in Anchorage and have been pouring money into it left and right. It's warm enough when the temps are moderate, but it get kinda nippy when it gets down to 20 below. Hopefully we won't get too much more of that this winter.

We're not getting any younger or healthier so I can't see me and the Boss Lady doing any more trips down the Alcan, so unless the group decides to hold a M&G up here, we won't get to go to another one. But we will welcome any and all who want to come up and visit Alaska. Let me know ahead of time and we'll get together - for a cup of coffee if nothing else.

Hope you had a Merry Christmas and wishing you a Happy New Year.

whitey

Hey akjimny; I sure would like to make one more trip to Alaska, However time has slip up on me i will be 77 in a couple months and Carloyn is in bad health. We both had a great time when we were at Fort Wainwright for two Vere short years, It was the Best tour of Duty that I had in 9 years in the Army. I would like to wish you and your family a Vere happy New Year.

akjimny

Whitey - My first Alaskan tour was up at Ft. Wainwright back in 1968 - 1969. You could throw a rock all the way across Fairbanks back then. The winter I was there, the bank thermometer froze at -52 below. It got colder but the thermometer was frozen. But all in all it was a pretty neat tour and got me to loving the state and the people up here. That's why I married on, I guess.

Sorry to hear you and your wife are not up to travelling up the Alcan. After 10 trips, I'm prettty well tired of it too. At least it's all paved now (kinda-sorta).

Thanks for the Christmas wishes and you have a Happy New Year too.:)