Winterizing RV

bob s

Is it necessary to fill the hot water tank with RV antifreeze, or should I bypass the syatem and levae the hot water tank empty? Any help is appreciated.

Bob

C Nash

Winterizing RV

Bob,
I have always bypass and drained my hot water tank. Takes a lot less antifreeze. Have you checked to see if yours has the by pass already installed in your system. Most later models do.

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

smoking1

Winterizing RV

C Nash is correct.If your unit has a bypass for the water heater,just bypassing and draing is all that is necessary.
If it doesn't have a bypass then the safest method is using anti-freeze......Be aware that it will take around 6-10 gal.to fill water heater.........

thumbs

Winterizing RV

Bob

I don't want to beat a dead horse here but....... If you don't have a by pass then take the cold in line and connect it to the hot out line. This in effect by passes the hot water heater. Now the trick here is this. You have to be able to drain the hot water heater!! I have a hot water heater on a boat that has the safety valve low on the tank. I stick a small plastic tube in it to open the valve and drain the tank. Remember if you by pass the tank you have to have a way to drain it or it will freeze. If you can't drain the tank you will have to winterize it.

Thumbs

Gary

Souderton, Pa

C Nash

Winterizing RV

Don't forget the battery!! A discharged battery can freeze and
burst :angry: In the 40s tonight and these old bones have already started aching :( Guess you can tell your getting old when your deordant smell like BEN GAY or ICY HOT :blush: