Wireless Internet Router

ARCHER

I realize this is an RV website, however, I hope someone can help me on this one. I am in Sunny Florida for the winer already and have cable and internet service from Brighthouse. In trying to cut the cost for this service, I was told that I could buy my own wireless router and save $9.00 per month on my bill. Having said that, I looked at some of the web sites, best buy, etc., and I am now lost. I'm not sure what / which one to purchase. I do need it to be wireless. I do not want it to interfer with my cable (TV) so need some understanding of just how to hook it up , also.
I have the cable line coming from the post outside to the side of TT and then all the stuff hooked up from entertainment center for TV and Router.
Any guidance or suggestions would help. I realize it may take me a while to actually recoup the costs of this purchase, but I'd rather have it for a few years (hopefully) in lieu of paying them monthly. :dead: ;)

TexasClodhopper

Re: Wireless Internet Router

So, it appears that Brighthouse supplies you with cable TV and high speed internet over the same cable. Right?

So, if you disconnect your high speed modem supplied by Brighthouse (with the intention of going with WIFI) who will supply the local (in your RV park) WIFI connection to the internet? In other words, when you hook up your wireless who will supply the other end (the host end?)

Assuming you will have a local WIFI supplier (it may not be free), you need to tell us whether you have a laptop or a desktop computer. There are modems made specifically for laptops, but you may be better off getting a modem with a USB connection.

More info, please! :clown:

LEN

Question???
Are you talking modem or router or both?
You need a cable modem on the cable to convert the signal to something the computer can use.
Second if you are talking router you still need the modem, the router just splits the signal for more than one devise, computers in this case.
You may be able to purchase a modem and reduce the monthly rental on the modem.
Now as to a router you plug this into the modem and then either hard wire from the router to the computer or go Wireless in which case the computer needs a wireless devise also. And if you are renting this from the ISP you may be able to purchase it as well.
You may also have a modem/router, both in one, and again you may be able to purchase this devise and have the two in one.
One thing you would have to do is check with your ISP on the contract you have and see if you are locked into paying for the unit/units you have for a period of time.
I owned my own modem for a while then when I added the internet/phone I needed a new unit but because I owned my own they didn't charge me rent on the new modem.

LEN

ARCHER

Let me try to explain a little better.
I have a laptop that has wireless programs built in so I don't need a new setup or program for the laptop. The cable company supplies a modem and currently the wireless router (at a cost of rental $9.00 per month). I do not believe I am being charged for the cable modem only the wireless router. They told me I could buy my own wireless router and save the $9.00 per month charge. The cable modem receives the cable from the supply line outside and then it runs to the DVR and then to the TV. The extra TV in bedroom is strictly basic cable so no box needed there.
Assuming I keep the cable modem and just buy a router, I want one that has fast speed (at least 54KBPS) AND is secure so that others cannot access it outside my TT.
Hope this is clear as to what I was looking for now. Tks for the help BTW, I am not going to WIFI but keeping the Brighthouse as my Digital cable tv and Internet serviceprovider. ;)

TexasClodhopper

Archer, just go to Best Buy. They have exactly what you want. I use a LinkSys model, but it also has a 'switch' built in.

You just need the wireless router, but one with a 'switch' built in will allow you to hook another computer into it without being wireless.

LEN

You might talk to the boys at Best buys or Circuit city, sounds like Tex said all you need is the router. But you might even save more if you have the modem router combo in one unit, unless the router they supply is free with the ISP connection and in that case the router of choice(price wise) is all you need. In the router setup which is quite EZ you can set a code that keeps your wireless secure from others using it unless you give them the code.