Wishful Thinking

Discussion in 'Destinations' started by akjimny, Feb 19, 2014.

1. akjimny

akjimny Senior Member

Seriously wishfully thinking about going to Sturgis this August. 3000 miles one way from Anchorage to there - should be able to make 1000 a day with me and my bro-in-law taking turns at the wheel.

Anybody else been there / going there? Any suggestions on where to camp?

If I can get the money together it would be a memorable vacation. Only bad thing is I have to drive thru Canada to get there.
  2. LEN

LEN Senior Member

If this is during or at the party or a week each side you WILL be 100-200 miles away for a camp ground. Or boondocking in a lot of heat in some farmers field. An unbelievable amount of people. I haven't been there in 20 years and it has grown allot since then. I flew in and out for the day so I could see all the people. Other than that just call call call and you might get a cancellation. Anywhere is better than nowhere.

3. akjimny

akjimny Senior Member

Thanks Len. I know to expect a lot of people, but it should be better then next year's event. This will be the 74th anniversary and I figure the 75th will really be packed, so that's one reason I was thinking about going this year.

I've been doing some research on the RV Park Reviews website, but I haven't called for reservations because this is still in the "Maybe" stage. Depends on whether mu bro-in-law can come up with his share of the gas money. I love him but I'm not going to totally finance this vacation.

If it comes down to it, we can boondock since the motorhome is self-contained. Might have to make a run somewhere to dump and gas up but it's do=able.
  4. dfedora

dfedora Member

Hi Jim
    You can buy a lot of air fare for what it will cost in Gas especially in Canada to drive 6000 miles
    That's why I fly back east leaving the jeep and rv's up in Wasilla . $3500.00 in gas verses $150. to fly back to Boston last October.