WT3060

Doug

Dear Allisonman,

I joined your forum do to the fact that I can't find any answer elsewhere. I currently work for a fire department ambulance service which opperates whith two Navistar 4700 LP rigs. I just received the responsibility keeping track of the care and maintenance on our ambulances.

Our 1998 4700 DT466E has a WT3060 transmission in it. What I am about to discribe occurs rarely and feels as if another vehicle rear ends the truck. I once even got out to check if someone had. It is frequently described as a big bang. This happens once in a while while pulling away from a stop sign. Usually just prior to shifting into second gear. Our city mechanic says that "It's a truck. It's going to ride like a truck." he can't come up with an answer. I can't settle for this response. A service company that we have taken the rigs to for work says that he can't be much help due to the fact that it doesn't happen frequently enough.

Everyone seems to think that it is the transmission. I wonder if it is the rear end. If it is a limited slip rear end could the bang be from the diff trying to break free?

If you have any suggestions please let me know. I hope to get the problem fixed before it breaks down.

Thanks,

Doug

ARCHER

WT3060

Doug,
Welcome to the forum. Hope someone can help. If you have not tried, you might want to check the "Two Guys Garage" Web site. I had questions on my Dodge truck and got straight forward answers that helped. I'll check the actual web site and send it to you.
Good luck

Cliff

WT3060

I drive a 1999 Int'l 4700 DT466E daily, configured as a tow truck. Not sure what the trans codes are, but it's a 7 speed manual. We've had some on going problems with this transmission, mostly shifting from first to second. What I 'think' you are experiencing, is simply the torque release from the low gearing in first gear. Mine also 'grinds' going into second quite often, especially when it's cold outside! :dead:

For all it's worth, I don't use the granny gear (Low gear) unless stuck in bumper to bumper traffic that is at a real crawl. I rarely use first gear either, generally starting out in second. Only time I use first is when fully loaded and starting out 'uphill' and need the lower gearing to get it going. :bleh:

AllisonMan

WT3060

What I am about to discribe occurs rarely and feels as if another vehicle rear ends the truck. I once even got out to check if someone had. It is frequently described as a big bang. This happens once in a while while pulling away from a stop sign. Usually just prior to shifting into second gear. Our city mechanic says that "It's a truck. It's going to ride like a truck." he can't come up with an answer. I can't settle for this response. A service company that we have taken the rigs to for work says that he can't be much help due to the fact that it doesn't happen frequently enough.

Everyone seems to think that it is the transmission. I wonder if it is the rear end. If it is a limited slip rear end could the bang be from the diff trying to break free?

If you have any suggestions please let me know. I hope to get the problem fixed before it breaks down.

Thanks,

Doug
[/quote]