Zoning Issues

Kris

I've been an RVer for 30 years (different types - from tents to popups and finally to a 32' Motorhome). If you park your RV at your home be careful of zoning laws. I was just convicted on a criminal misdemeanor for not conforming to a "30 day rule" which basically says I have to move the RV at least once every 30 days. I live in the Midwest. I live in the Midwest and there was snow and ice on the streets at the time. To sum it up I was found guilty of a criminal misdemeanor, fined $2,000 (fine and legal fees) and put on a one year probation (I have to get the courts permission to go out of state). Again...just a friendly fyi, but watch that parking of your RV...and it can make you into a criminal before you know it.

C Nash

Zoning Issues

Hi Kris,
Man, that stinks :( . You would think they would at least give a first warning!! I have never even thought about parking in my yard but, we are not in the city limits. Think I will ck into the county laws to be safe because I do live in a sub division. Thanks for passing the warning.

Kris

Zoning Issues

Anytime. Glad to help out where I can :) Even us "master criminals" like to give people a helping hand whenever possible.

PS....with regard to the "first warning". I actually went to court before on this and received a court ruling in my favor and the judge allowed me to park it in my driveway and said to drive it anytime...anywhere. The city didn't like this ruling so they changed a couple of words in the ordinance and said because the ordinance was changed it was a whole new ballgame and the previous court order didn't mean anything anymore. This is a great way that the city I live in gets around the appeals process. If they lose a case they don't appeal, they just keep changing the ordinance and go after you multiple times for the same zoning issue until they wear you down or win. Basically, I was found guilty for following a judges order Wow! Never knew that could happen in the USA!

Kris

Zoning Issues

Hey Planetbob. No worries. From your profile I see that you're in Puerto Rico. This is Michigan. Just stay clear of there and you'll be fine. :cool:

I'm still appealing the first court ruling (trying to get the criminal misdemeanor and probation removed - not to get the RV back on the property). As a matter of fact I don't own that RV anymore. I'll have to pick up a new one when this mess is all over (and keep it in a storage facility this time), which is why I submitted a motion to have the probation removed (the probation was put in place so I couldn't bring the RV back on my property). Since I don't have it anymore I can't exactly bring it back on the property so I thought it was reasonable to enter a motion asking for it to be removed. I got fined $100 for entering a frivelous motion :(

It's a frustrating process without a lawyer. The courts are very unfriendly to people who represent themselves. And the three quotes I got from lawyers to appeal were all about $15,000. I don't know many people who would want to fork over that much money for an RV parking issue, so I'm going it alone and feeling every bump and bruise along the way (I've tried submitting a motion 3 times now and they still won't let me - if you don't have all your I's and T's crossed exactly the right way forget it). That's been the most frustrating part of the whole experience. I try to conform as best I can and do exactly what the courts want but when a case can get thrown out because of a clerical error and not on the issues of at hand, our system needs to be looked at.

If anyone else is going through issues like this on parking your RV's feel free to email me at comp531@hotmail.com I'll be glad to give you any info I can to help you out - I've got tons(it's pretty good stuff that should help you win if you're dealing with reasonable people) :)

planetbob

Zoning Issues

Well this is going to sound goofy...yes, I'm in Puerto Rico with my wife, but our Motorhome is in Burlington, Ontario, Canada, where it's actually sometimes warmer than Michigan, for those who think the weather suddenly changes as soon as one crosses 49 degrees north latitude.
Of course, here in Puerto Rico, I don't think they have any such thing as a city ordenance or bylaw, since if you've got enough grass, you can keep chickens, a horse, whatever, so no problems with a motorhome. Narrow roads would be the problem.
Mind you, up in Burlington, we do have a specific bylaw dealing with RVs in your driveway. I think the max fine is something like 50 bucks, and even then the bylaw enforcement officer would surely give you a warning. I know, since I've been warned about a trailer that I had parked on the "boulevard". *puh* So I moved it 10 feet away from the roadway and was fine. A neighbour (sorry, you want to see "neighbor") across the way from me has a class "C" that he keeps at the house, and in the off season he simply tucks it in behind the house more or less out of sight, and he's never had a problem.
You may be able to find a place where you can store it fairly cheap out in your neck of the woods. I can only use as a reference some friends we have in Horseheads, N.Y. who keep their MH on a lot for TEN BUCKS A MONTH. (us$ of course) You'll probably pay more than that. Around Burlington I'm pretty sure it runs around fifty a month (cdn of course) We keep ours at the dealership where we bought it, since they rent it out for us, otherwise we would have sold it when we came down here.
Good luck to you. Resist the temptation to just "go postal". The worst they can make you do is file and refile. If you have time on your hands, you might as well make it into a little hobby, and try to keep a positive attitude. Hey! and if you get enough material and are feeling creative, maybe you'll write a book and make a buck or two! Har!!