05 Coachmen 26 tran problem

maximini14

I purchased my 1st RV 3 weeks ago and have been going thru every system making repairs as needed. Most recently I looked at a tranny flush as rv has 78k on it, and i find no record of previous flushes. I inquired at several local shops about a flush and no one wanted to do it, So decided I would do it myself. Its a Ford 5r110w tran automatic. Followed flush procedure as described in several "you tube" vids. Replaced both the internal filter, and exterior cartridge filter. Buttoned things up and brought up fluid to cool mark on dip stik. Drove around several miles, everything looks good. Next day hooked up my boat to head for Lake Champlain for weekend. Only made it 30 miles- smell ATF fluid, pull over n look underneath, fluid spilling out of tran, made it back home ok, tran shifted fine and no slipping on hills. Appears fluid is coming out of vent tube on top of tranny- recheck fluid level - looks good! What is going on? What do I do?

C Nash

What type fluid did you use? Sounds like it is overfilled. Is the dipstick the correct one? Keep us posted
. What size boat are you towing? Towing to heavy will cause this.

DougS

All dealerships are not the same.. It is a Ford so call Ford dealerships and get their service rep that deals with ford trucks and if he/she doesn't give you any good info, call another. In January I was in San Antonio and needed some assistance with my Dodge Sprinter Winebago View and there were 9 Dodge agencies... I called 7 of them before I found someone who actually knew of my problem and had a certified tech. My oil light would come on intermittently with no smell or overheating... Problem was to much oil. The last place didn't know that to much was worse than to little. Just keep calling, even in the next county or city, what ever, until you find someone who knows that ford transmission and will talk to you.. When I got home to So Oregon I wanted to deal with a different issue and called the local Dodge agency and finally got their Sprinter rep who was not very knowledgeable so I said to myself, it is a Mercedes engine, I'll call them.... Way different results and the RV is over there being checked out... I feel a vibration when the tranny down shifts from 5th to 4th pulling a hill. I am planning a long trip to Alaska in the Spring so want to be sure of what it is... and get it fixed if it is something that needs to be fixed... Best of luck.. Doug

C Nash

Well Doug as you can see he (maximini) never came back to tell us his results and that was Oct of last year. So please come back to let us know your results. We did the Alaska trip in 04. Would go back tomorrow if we could afford it. Keep us posted on your travel to Alaska. Take your time and enjoy. Welcome to the forum.

DougS

C Nash, Unfortunately it needs a new tranny... Now I am writing a letter to the place I purchased it from because the Mercedes computer system shows that it had previously been checked out a month before we bought it. It was either the people who traded it in or the RV Dealer. The RV dealer should have known about the problem and just neglected to pass that on.. Something else I found out from Mercedes is that the chassis and engine are 2008 and yet the RV was sold as a 2010 with no disclosure. I'm a little miffed. I wonder how old you have to get before we don't have to learn any more of life's little lessons. Otherwise I sure like that View and will be happy to have it all fixed up like it is suppose to be with ALL systems working right. And thanks for the advise, all we have is time. Life is a grand adventure, a journey and I am trying to enjoy as many minutes and hours as I can. You to enjoy!

C Nash

Doug, it is not unusual for the chassis to be older than the selling yr. Most are on 1 yr older chassis than actually yr. Mine is built on the 2001 Ford chassis but listed as 2002 HR. The warranty generally goes with the selling yr.. Plan on a lot of time in Alaska. Will you be towing a toad? I would recommend taking one. Lot of side trips that I would not take a MH. The road to Prudhoe Bay through the Brooks range is awesome but about 800 miles of dirt rd round trip.

akjimny

Doug - hope you have a pleasant trip up the Alcan. It's pretty much all paved now, except for the parts they are constantly working on. When driving thru Canada, watch out for little orange flags along the shoulder of the road. Those are the warnings for frost heaves, pavement breaks, etc. Bring a good camera. If you don't want to tow a "toad," you can buy a good used car here in Anchorage from my nephew the used car salesman. I'll tell him to give you the "friends and family" discount. Send me a PM and we'll try to get together for a cup of coffee when you get here.

DougS

C Nash - not planning on towing. Haven't decided on what to tow yet.. thinking about a scooter.. akjimmy - that sounds like an interesting prospect.. then what? sell him the car back when we're done with it or just give it to Nash's daughter? hahaha... think 6 weeks is enough time to travel thru and see enough.. I mean, I'm not looking into permanent residency. Just having some fun. We will be traveling with at least on other couple pulling a trailer behind their crew cab truck so possible that side trips in it. We have invited others to go but so far everyone says they either can't afford it or can't take the time this year.. I say, take it while you can because there is no guarantee there will even be a tomorrow or next year.

akjimny

Doug - If you decide to buy something, you could sell it back to him or put it up on Craigslist. 6 weeks could be enough or not - depending on what you want to do and where you want to go. Anchorage to Deadhorse - 847 miles, mostly gravel. Anchorage to Fairbanks - 354 miles, all paved. Anchorage to Denali Nat park - 232 miles. Anchorage to Homer - 226 miles. There are plenty of places to pull off the highway and park and plenty of state/federal campgrounds. If you are here during salmon season (May-September) the roads and campgrounds may be pretty crowded. Alaskans take fishing seriously. Bring a good camera and enjoy the trip. Post back if you need any more info.

DougS

AK - thanks.. I like eating fish more than catching them... and I'm not picky as to camp.. I am self sufficient. Just need a dump once in a while and take on some water.. but can do that from a creek if I had to.. google maps says our itinerary will be about 5-6,000 mile round trip.. 100 miles a day... would take a couple months.. towing kind of puts a crimp in the flex. Would want one if I was staying somewhere any time but I'm more of a wanderer and my rig is only 24' so goes most places.. not up the back roads but then I'd need to be somewhere a while. We have a Canon Rebel and a Elf which I always have handy.. for those quick shots. Where are you going this year?

akjimny

Doug - I plan on fishing the Kenai River in Soldotna and the Russian River for red salmon. May go up north to some of the creeks for silvers later on in the summer. Or, since I made a promise to help, I may be driving to Florida in June to help my niece with her move back to Alaska. That mission is still up in the air - so ??? If you make it to Anchorage, let me know and we'll get a cup of coffee.