102 in wide revisited

Old Forum Post

[Jim M] There was recently some good conversation here on this subject, but since that time I have heard that NJ is now introducing legislation to restrict to 8 ft if traveling off of interstate. We are aware that several other states have similar laws, but there are few instances of problems. It is worrisome that NJ is now doing this. Anyone know what caused this to occur? Do we have a legislative infection and possible renewed vigor for enforcement that might spread to other states here? Makes you wonder if we 102 inchers might be heading for the same fate as the california 45 footers!

Old Forum Post

102 in wide revisited

[gdauth] Don&#039t know why NJ is doing this, but the Northeast has the oldest and narrowest roads. If the states do crack down, I bet there will be one hell of a class action suit against the RV industry, since they knowingly produce units that are 102" wide, and then put awnings and other stuff on the sides to make them illegal even on the interstates. Most RV campgrounds are off of the interstate, so I guess a lot of them will be closing their gates.

Old Forum Post

102 in wide revisited

[Jim M] good points--I wonder about the possibility of a class action though, the public outcry about the RV industry building over 40 footers in California didn&#039t dissuade the bureaucrats much! Looking on the website mentioned previously, most states do allow for the wide bodies in their existing legislation. And as you and others have commented, even those that do not have not been particularly vigorous in their enforcement. All in all the situation doesn&#039t look too bad--if you don"t mind being barred from NJ!

Old Forum Post

102 in wide revisited

[Gdauth] I will probably get flamed for this, but there is nothing I want to see in NJ. I understand that MD is strict about 102" vehicles on their roads. Actually, if you get a copy of a Truckers Road Atlas from your local friendly truck stop, you will see that there are other Federal roads that are legal for 102" rigs. In addition to maps for each state showing legal roads, there is usually a summary of state by state towing laws, etc.