1989 Georgie Boy 34ft transmission won't stay in park

doubletakemac

Just bought this and when I put it in park it starts to roll even though the parking brake says it is engaged. It also makes a noise when you now take it out of park and put it in reverse or drive. Any help will be appreciated.
This is my first rv so as they say i'm dumber than a box of rocks.
Thanks
Rick

JimE

RE: 1989 Georgie Boy 34ft transmission won't stay in park

Rick, is it a Diesel or Gas model?

H2H1

Re: 1989 Georgie Boy 34ft transmission won't stay in park

does it have air brakes not just the one to stop but to lock it in place. I fit does look for a yellow knob that said to pull to set. That locks the wheels. When you are ready to go you must push it in to release the air brakes on the wheels. Good luck

doubletakemac

it is a ford 460 with a ford C6 transmission, 3 speed sitting on a john deere chassis

doubletakemac

gass and it uses a lot of that im learning and thanks a lot to all of your help

H2H1

OK I was thinking it was a diesel, and yes they do love the gas :laugh: I average 7.5-8 mpg with mine and it has a 100 gal. gas tank.

G

sounds to me like the parking pawl is worn and not holding ,, since u said it is a gasser ,, it IMO should be just like any car u drive ,, put it in park and it is done ,, btw the c6 was not known for this type of problem ,, unless it was abused ,, about the only thing i can recomend ,, is that u see a tranny shop ,, or if u feel u can do it u'rself ,, then do it
:approve:

doubletakemac

im retired air force and thought i knew what a pucker factor was until i drove it on a narrow 2 lane back to my house at night. first time driving one and i swear i hit every major town from frederikburg va to hopkinsville ky at ruch hour my knuckles still don't have the blood back in them

doubletakemac

supposedly there is an automatic parking brake that engages when you put it in park and it either uses a cable or some kind of brake pad to make it stay in park. I will always use it with chocks from now on.

G

u wil get used to that after awhile ,, it's like driving a really big pinto :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

doubletakemac

it only has 18k on the engine and tranny and it drove back 750 miles with no problem. they actually have the validated info on the milage and the interior looks great and is original everything so i think it must be some simple thing that is not working like linkage or something.

doubletakemac

i think you meant to say a stampeding herd of pintos. but i will keep at it until i get good at driving it or scare the other drivers enough so they get out of my way. it's all just a matter of attitude.

doubletakemac

is the map of the us representative of the states you have visited. and what constitutes qualifying in order to color in another state then i will leave you alone

doubletakemac

Thanks everyone for trying to help. I jut found out in these models there is a control valve activating a relay valve which activates the springset parking brake chamber. the spring chamber pulls a cable engaging the drum brake on the transmission tail shaft. SO tomorrow I will crawl under the rv and check to see if that cable is out of spec. thanks again
see ya
rick

H2H1

GLAD YOU HAVE AN ANSWER TO THE PROBLEM. BUT STILL POST BACK YOUR FINDING. MAY JUSTHELP SOMEONE ELSE ON HERE

doubletakemac

sorry to bother you but what qualifies a state to be colored in on your map. passing through, staying for??? many days or does it just show those states you got a speeding ticket. im just curious as i am new to rving
thanks

G

well good for u , Rick ,, but never heard of a parkng brake set by the trans when in park on a 89 model ,, i know my Bus had it ,, but i had air brakes on it ,, and didn;t actually have a so called park ,, just nuetral ,, and u set the parking brake (AKA drum brake on drive line ),, i have seen them on certian other rv's but they were manual like a regular e-brake setup ,, i now have a 91 Rexhall ,, and it has the same a c6 ,, but no drum on the drive line ,, all i do is put it in park ,, and it is on a ford frame :( :( :( :disapprove: :disapprove: :disapprove: and with the 460 also ,, my parking brake is on the rear wheels ,, even though i have 6 sets of brakes ,, i have tag axles on mine ,, but i guess there is always a diff type in all kinds of RV's ,, and btw ,, i never use the parking brake ,, unless i am on a really big incline :eek: :eek:

G

as far as the colored states goes ,, most of us say u have to spend atleast one full day (24hrs or more) in that state to actually color in that state ,,others have said only if u drive thru it ,, but most do as i have said ,, but JMO ;) :) :)

big bilko

Can I color in TN and Vegas when we were over for the meet and greet :) :) :) Regards BIG BILKO :cool: :cool: :cool:

H2H1

WHY NOT you was there and spent the night there. We realize you did not have your MH, but how could you get it here to the states when you live in Australia.