1989 ROADTREK SLUGGISH - WANTING TO PURCHASE

SEWRIGHT

Looked at a 1989 ROADTREK 190 318 v8 and when we took it for a ride it seemed rather sluggish trying to get it up and running with the pedal to the metal on the highway. The van has all we want but we need to know if it will pull a trailer with 2 motorcycles on it up the mountains on 75? It travelled extensively and has 100000 m but has sat for the past 2 years except for short city runs and wonder if new gas, spark plugs, oil change, etc. will help this sluggishness ? Thanks for any help SEWRIGHT@MNSI.NET newbie

C Nash

Hard to say but think I would have a compression test done. Does it seem to skip? The 318 should be ok in the 190 just don't know what you are expecting. Does it have a 4 barrel carb? If so, the secondary might not be working. Dirty air filter, fuel filter can also affect performance. Timing could also be off and with this milage I am sure the timing chain will have a lot of slack. Have a mechanic test it out.

turnipbwc

SEWRIGHT,
I think I would pass on the deal if it were me. Already having trouble and never bought it yet and the 100K miles is enough for me to back away from it. I had a 1994 Chevy Coachman before I bought my Roadtrek and it was the same way. I believe it was in the carberator but I didn't like the hightop and traded it after only owning it one month and never took a trip in it. I drove it 200 miles and it took over a full tank of gas.
The Roadtrek I bought has the same engine as the one you are looking at (318) and I have all the zip I would want. I wouldn't be afraid to pull a trailer if I had to. Towing a car may be a different story. Someday I want to trade my 1995 Dodge Roadtrek (with only 30K miles) for a newer 2003 Chevy Roadtrek for the simple reason it has a 6.0 engine and I can pull a small car.
Good Luck,
turnip42