1999 MONTANA CAN IT HAUL TENT TRAILERS?!?

Old Forum Post

[Sam] WE HAVE A 1999 TRANSPORT/MONTANA . WE HAVE BEEN THINKING OF GETTING A TENT TRAILER OR A LIGHT WEIGHT TRAILER. WE ARE NOT SURE HOW WELL THE MONTANA&#039S ARE AT TOWING. WE WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.

Old Forum Post

[Ernie Ekberg] We have a 99 Venture van. I believe that is the same body as your Montana but you have more decorations. I am in the floor covering business and haul a 14 foot utility trailer. Sometimes I put 1500 lbs on the trailer and It pulls it fine ---in 3rd gear. Stay off the overdrive. You may want to get a small equalizer hitch to keep the back end of your van from hitting the ground with the tongue weight. Your speed getting onto the freeway will be slow but you should be able to cruise around 65 easy. These are tough vans. Good luck, Ernie 84 Bluebird towing my Venture van

Old Forum Post

[sam] Hi Ernie, thanks for your help. I was also wondering do we need a trailer towing package for the van or can it tow 1500 without. Also what would I need to add or do to my van in order to tow 3000lbs?

Old Forum Post

[Ernie Ekberg] Sam- Last week I went to pick up 2 rolls of carpet. The weight of that was 1400 lbs and I assume the trailer is another 750. I was pretty well maxed out. Now, I only have a Class B hitch. I believe that if you were to tow something heavier you would have to get an equalizer hitch. The van will tail sway if you don&#039t transfer some of that weight to the front axle. 3000 lbs might be a little tricky mainly cause the van doesn&#039t way much more than that. There are some 2 axle pop-ups [we had one] that could help you with the weight. Brakes on your trailer are imperitive.Hope this helps. Good Luck, Ernie in Texas

Old Forum Post

[bill] it should be no problem .when you get over 1000 pounds you should look into getting a transmission cooler . they are not expensive . you should be able to haul up to 3ooo lbs. with your montana.