1st time buyer advice needed...

Old Forum Post

[Greg Mantz] Hello all. I was looking for some advice for a possible first time buyer (me), such as suggested brands, things to look out for, suggested equipment, etc. Mostly things you wish someone would have told you when you first got into RVing. Here is the deal. I recently joined the Air Force as a pilot and for the next two years I&#039ll move from one base to another at least five times for flight training. I have already found that base housing is scarce and off base housing that will accept pets (I have two 50 pound dogs) is not always available either. So my wife and I were considering a towable RV to solve the problem. I have a Ford super duty diesel pickup truck so I should be able to pull most types without a problem. I may or may not own this after I get done with flight training, I&#039m not sure how much time I&#039ll have but my wife and I always wanted one anyway. I&#039m just starting here so all information is valuable. I know there are a lot of opinions on this stuff so feel free to post them. It&#039s just what I need. If you prefer, you can email me directly at mantzgs@mindspring.com. Thanks in advance!

Greg

Old Forum Post

[Tom] You asked a couple of loaded questions, so some things need clarification. Do you want a hitch in your truck bed ? If not, you want a standard trailer. If you are planning on living in one as you say for a couple of years, a larger floorplan might be in order, something with slideouts. By all means never exceed your truck&#039s towing capacity. Do you plan on buying new or used ? On another website IRV2.com, under forums and the general trailer topics, you will find a checklist that far exceeds anything I would tell you about. You will find out that most everyone has an opinion about brands. Personally if I was going to move around as much as you will, I would buy a namebrand mostly for support.
I hope I&#039ve helped some. Tom

Old Forum Post

[RVJOE] WELL, BEST OF LUCK IN YOUR TRAINNING. FIRST, SINCE YOUR USAGE TIME IS SHORT, CO9NSIDER A USED RV. A 5TH WHEEL WITH SLIDES WILL GIVE YOU THE MOST ROOM. YOU&#039LL SAVE $$$$$ BUYING A GOOD NAME BRAND USED RIG, THAN A CHEEPER RIG FOR THE SAME MONIES. CHECK OUR CARRIAGE/CARRI-LITE. 2ND. NO RIG WILL BE BIG ENOUGH FOR YOUR TWO DOGS,,,,AND THEY WILL CAUSE YOU A LOT OF RIG DAMAGE. KEEP THEM OUTSIDE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.

I HAVE A F-350 DESIEL THAT TOWES A 33 FT. 5TH WHEEL WITH NO PROBLEMS. BEST OF LUCK. SEARCH FOR MORE RV WED SITES FOR GOOD BUYS ON USED RIGS. STAY AWAY FROM A DEALER, THEY WILL COST YOU MORE.

Old Forum Post

[Butch] Hi Greg,
Will agree that with others after your statement, after flt. training you may or may not own this rig, it would probably be in your best interest to pick up a good used unit with a couple of slides at least. Might even consider a bedroom slide if your dogs sleep in close proximity at night. (mine do) By buying a new unit, you can lose a third of your investment when you turn the key. That can hurt after only a couple of years. If you are in an area where Bigfoot RV&#039s are available, I would look at them pretty hard. Anything that can be used at 40 below has got to be pretty good even in the Summer heat...Happy motoring, Butch - Nancy Lake, Alaska

Old Forum Post

[Sam] You may want to look at National RV&#039s Sea Breeze fifth wheel line. This is build for full time living. National uses house style equipment inside there coach , which means it will last over time. You can look at there web site at www.nrvh.com