1st time RVer

Valk

My wife and I are in our early 30's. We both work long hours and we are looking for a Class B for weekend vacations and a twice a year 800 mile trip to visit her parents. We saw a 1988 xplorer model with 70000 miles on a dodge chasis. It doesn't have a Generator and I didn't see a Inverter (but I have an inverter in my current Conversion Van so I can transfer that.). It doesn't have a Tv or VCR but the Shower, appliances and cabinets are in great shape. The dealer's askig price is $7000. My question is, being a first time RVer, will this be a good buy for me or should I keep looking. :question:

hertig

1st time RVer

Hard to say without knowing more details. However, www.nadaguides.com says the M-221 88 Xplorer has an average retail price of $10,614 and a low retail price or $8806, so for a dealer price, that MAY not be bad. You could check yourself to see what the exact model in question goes for.

Valk

1st time RVer

Any help would be appreciated. What other info would u need to know. I dont want to buy a van over 10 years old to find out a year later that it was a mistake maintainance wise. I have a 7 seat conversion van with a portable potty and inverter inside. I am happy with it but the lack of a shower and the kitchen is why I and considering purchasing the Xplorer

C Nash

1st time RVer

Valk'
If you are not familiar with checking the drive train it might pay to get a professional to check out all running gear. Tires are another area that should be checked even though the tread depth may look good. General rule if they are over 5 yr old replace. See if they will provide the previous owner name and what did he trade for. Make them a lower offer if you are interested. Ck all floor area, ceiling, walls for possible water damage. The Dodge engine was pretty bullet proof but the carburators were prone to give trouble. check idle quality and look for any signs of gas leaks around base of carb. Brakes could also be about used up at this milage and check on inside of wheels for any sign of seal leaks same under engine and trans. Ck for abnormal tire wear such as cupped, wear on inside or outside of tire, play in steering. Good luck

hertig

1st time RVer

Probably the most significant factor in determining the price would be the model and length.

As Chelse says, you need to evaluate the condition of the drive train AND the 'house' systems (heating and cooling systems, water, electric, gas and sewage systems, and kitchen systems in order to be aware of any large repair costs which might be looming.