2006 rockwood travel trailers

jeff2003

My wife and I have been looking at new 2006 Rockwood Trailers. The price posted was $18,000. Is buying trailers like buying cars? Do you pay posted prices or do you negotiate? I was given a price of $19,500, this is tax title and license. This also included an equallizer kit, friction sway control, and brakes installed. I am looking for advice if this is a good offer or do you look to pay a certain percentage of the asking price?

Thanks for any help,
Jeff

DL Rupper

Hey Jeff, welcome to the forum. My rule of thumb is offer/pay 10% less than sticker. On most 5th Wheels the hitch and brake controller is included in the price so I would expect all the goodies to make the travel trailer work would be included.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Sorry DL, had to join in. I beg to differ in the opinion that the hitch and brake control is included in the price of trailers. Believe me, it is NOT in mine. 20 or more years ago, when fifth wheels first hit the market and started becomming popular, the hitch did come with the trailer from the manufacture. It does NOT these days. If a dealer is "throwing in a hitch", beleve me, he has added the cost (and profit) of the hitch into the price asked for the trailer.
I do have local competition doing that. He adds a flat amount for the hitch in each and every trailer. If you don't need it, you usually don't know the difference and pay anyway.
Usually, when a customer buys my trailers, we sell the hitches at my COST. The type of hitch is determined by the vehicle they have.
If MOST dealers are adding in the hitch and fooling people, I would like to know. Maybe I should consider it myself.

turnipbwc

Grandview,
I was looking at a 20' travel trailer last year at a dealer near here. After she figured the cost, taxes, title, etc. She had it all down on paper and gave me a copy then I asked her about the hitch and brake hook-up. She said they would throw that in free.
Maybe you should consider that as well.

DL Rupper

Grandview, I got my hitch and controller with my HitchHikerII as part of the
price. Its been 11 years, but I believe it was in the sticker price. Guess times do change. Oh well, I've been wrong before. I still think $18K including tax, title and the trailer goodies sounds about right to me.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Could be. That is the classic case that if you did not need a hitch, you would have paid for it anyway. The hitch cost had been factored in before you got there. There is no way any of us can do it for "free". Glad for you she was honest.
I always ask if the customer needs a hitch before I write anything down.

Grandview Trailer Sa

DL, 11 years ago Hitch Hiker might have had a hitch in the price, but the cost was added in somewhere. Either at Hitch Hiker or at the dealership.

Where ever it is added "FREE" sounds great!!!

C Nash

You can bet if it is free the cost is in there somewhere. Grandview keep doing it as you are now. I think it is fair to sell one at your cost if you have made a fair profit. We all like to think we have got something free but it just aint that way.