2006 vs 2007 Diesel Engine

Darwin

Can someone tell me the difference or changes in the diesel engines from 2006 to 2007? I plan to purchase a new 300 cummins diesel motorhome very soon. The dealer has both and I see no difference in the way they drive but I understand there were some changes. Which would you recomend?

C Nash

Re: 2006 vs 2007 Diesel Engine

My choice right now would be the 2006 and I think some of the earlier 2007 may have the old engine. Reason, there have been a lot of modifacations to the new engines to comply with EPA rules and new fuel. Any time there is a forced change without development time there will probably be some problems. Another though though is how are the older engines going to fare using the new fuel. Remember what the unleaded gasoline would do to the valve train in the engines that were designed for leaded. We had to add additives. AJMO

Grandview Trailer Sa

The NEW diesel engines have been make after Jan. 1st, 2007. There were a lot of 2007's made in the fall and are just like the 2006's. This may be what you are looking at. The NEW engines have a lot of changes and will cost quite a bit more. I cannot tell you all the changes, but they are there.
The engines made before Jan. 1st 2007 can burn the new fuel, but if you get an engine made this year, you MUST burn the new fuel. You cannot burn the current fuel in the new engines.

hertig

The old engines won't have any design problems (that they didn't have before :) ), but it is not clear the effect the new fuel will have on them. For instance, people with engines like mine report the new fuel shrinks the gaskets in the fuel pump, leading to leaks.

G

The new cummins engine is the same as it has been since 1985 but the only diff is they added more valves to comply with the new EPA regs also DO NOT burn the Bio diesel in this new engine,, it has a tendency to clog the injectors..
I have seen 2 of these probs at the shop since the new 06/07 engine came out,, but of course we have to cover them under warranty (per cummins)
Myself have a diesel pusher with a 300 cummins (modified of corse) and have no probs with it...
Bty u do know that the B model cummins comes from the factory at only 25% of the total power it was built to provide...
With a few mods and some $$$$ u can run with the big rigs.. :)

G

Also forgot the mention that in the next year the sulfur content of diesel will be completely gone (diesels need sulfur,,) That is why the diesel smells diff than in the past,,, sorry kinda had an brain far-

Stormin

Any web sites you can recommend for the mod parts? I assume the same goes for cat...

G

I suggest that u ck out the diesel proformance web pages,, they have alot to chose from (I myself get mine from Cummins, but not avail to public)
I can say this stay away form any propane injection system it will kill u'r engine..
Just browse around and find the one cheapest and the one clostest to u'r home (save shipping)
Like i said before there are alot of really good aftermarket suppliers out there and at good prices... :)