2010 Freelander

BTLover

I am looking at a 2010 Coachmen Freelander 30QB for $59,995 right now. I really like the unit and the dealer is willing to let me lock in this RV show price for a deposit so I can test drive it before I pull the trigger. The dealer is even meeting me on my asking price for my trade in so I can pay off my current travel trailer.

Here's my sticking point. The only reviews from customers I could find on the Internet were less than glowing. Does anyone here have any experience with this line of Class C's? Is this a good price or should I haggle a bit more?

Thanks for your advice!

Beth

C Nash

Re: 2010 Freelander

Beth welcome to the forum. Coachman does not have the best reputation out there. Have you just started looking? Don't jump on the first rv you fall in love with and thats easy to do at shows. Check around and do some shopping before buying. If its a one time must sign its probably not a bargin deal. Check around on the internet to see prices. Good luck and let us know what you decide

BTLover

Thanks for the welcome. Hmmm...I've heard Coachmen has had some problems but I've also heard they've cleaned up their act, so I was hoping... I've been looking around but in my area (Central Texas) there's just not much on the dealer lots right now. I'm trying to stick to the 60K price range and, in spite of the price limits I've set for myself, I actually like this one the best of many I have looked at. I've looked at Four Winds, Winnebago, Itasca, and Fleetwood and it's tough finding much in that $60K range. I went ahead and put down the deposit and I will test drive it on Monday, at which point I can back out for any reason and get my deposit back. For that reason, I'm still poking around on the Internet.

Any advice is certainly welcome!

Beth

TexasClodhopper

Beth, if they agreed to all of that easily, then you haven't found the best price yet. You will have to put them through the ringer before they'll get you the best price. You will have to run the sales people all over the lot and be a real pain. You gave them the deposit ... they "know" they've sold you on it. They "know" they have you sold on it. I'd bet they have already filled out the papers. You were easy! :clown:

Trust us ... they'll come down some more ... you just haven't tried to turn around and walk off the lot, yet. :clown:

If you can't do that, then get your money back and send someone in that can! Once you sign that paper, you are stuck with whatever is there and can't send it back for a refund. You saw a sign at the dealer that says "Service" and maybe one that says "Sales", but you didn't see one that says "Refunds", because there aren't any refunds.

JamesH

YOU SAID IT RIGHT, Tex, never saw a refund sign at a RV dealership or CAR dealership

jack g

BT Lover

I bought a 2007 freelander (3150ss) in April 09. Paid 49K for it. Have been quite satisfied with it. You won't find any RV site where anyone says anything good about the coachman. This doesn't stop us from enjoying Our coach. There a a couple of things you might want to have the dealer do before you agree to buy it tho. 1. Replace sway bars (front and rear) with some good one. Current bars are to thin and causes alot of swaying, and 2. Replace the shocks. ( I had new sway bars and koni shock put in, in dec 09 and it makes for alot better ride. PM me if you have other information you would like.

BTLover

Thanks, y'all. I was prepared to pull the trigger but then I found out they were going to try to give me the floor model from the show when I said specifically I didn't want it. I called them on it this afternoon when I saw the same vin # on the purchase order. Of course, they are super apologetic and want to know how to make it up to me. I'm at the point where I don't even want to deal with them at all if they are going to try to pull this on me without telling me. Luckily I had that vin number from the show. (Trust no one) So, of course now they want to know what they can do to make it up to me.

I don't know what to do. I really like the model but I am prepared to walk off now. They claim they will get me one from the factory but how do I verify that? Should I ask for more add-ons (I sure would like a convection oven)? More money off the price? Keep walking?

I'd love some opinions here.

Thanks again!

Beth

G

IMO ,, i would make them think u are gonna walk ,, and see what they will do then ,, but i would ask if u could speak to a factory rep and see what he or she has to offer ,, then ,, make u'r mind up from there ,, u never know how the dealers will turn the tables , once u have talked to the factory ,, but ther agian JMO ,, If they say they can do as good as the factory rep can ,,, then i would walk ,, there alot of deals out there ,, and dealers that want to sell ,, just look around and do some searching :approve: :approve: :approve:

BTLover

I am totally prepared to walk. I still can't imagine doing business with these folks. I could never trust them. I even told them to get my trade in ready because I was coming to get it. That's when I got a call from the GM who couldn't believe his people would do this, he doesn't want me to think he's a snakey dealer like that, what can I do, blah, blah, blah. Of course, that's what they're gonna say.

There are some Winnebago I'd be just as happy with at a dealer down the road. They're more expensive but I haven't tried to haggle with that dealer yet. How much should I expect a dealer to come off a unit msrp'd at $113K? I'm also thinking about a Fleetwood Quest 24E that I've seen listed at $58K at a local dealer. I like the idea of diesel but having been in a travel trailer for the last 3 years I am concerned about the size and the holding tanks being so small. Then again, I have a Thetford and with a 24' unit I could just unplug and drive everything over to a dump station...

:)

Triple E

When the guy down the street finds out that you walked out on your last deal because of trust, I believe, the new dealer will bend over backwards to make his dealership look good. If a dealer is asking 58K, I would ask for all the options that you want plus taxes and plates for that price. So in other words out-the-door for 58K not a cent over. Good Luck. ;)

:8ball:

BTLover

Thanks for the opinions. I still haven't gotten back to the Coachmen dealer but it's looking more and more like I'm walking. I found a 2010 Forest River Solara 24S that the manager is willing to go down to invoice on (he claims he can still make $2,000 on that deal). Of course, this makes the trade in deal much worse (he said if my unit looks good he'd eat $500-$1,000 into his profit to make the deal) but I might be willing to stretch to get into a diesel class c for under $70K. It's 4.5 hours away from my home but I'm also willing to drive that far to not have to deal with the local Coachmen dealer. I'm sure I'll probably regret it when I need warranty work but I like the idea of the better fuel economy.

If anyone has any opinions on the Forest River 24S 2010, let me know.

To be continued... :)

Triple E

Have you talked with Ken at Grandview Sales. Ken is a very honest man who will give you his honest thoughts. I have read some not so good posting on the Forest River. Talking with Ken might be one of the safest things you do. JMO. ;) You can find Ken on this site. Good Luck. :) E-Mail: Kenneth@grandviewtrailersales.com

:8ball:

BTLover

Thanks Triple E. I've talked to a LOT of dealers, salesmen, etc. The bottom line is I'm still looking.

BTLover

Quick update, y'all. I found a new 2010 Jayco Greyhawk at my local dealer quite by accident. They had just gotten it in for an RV show. I've been a Jayco owner in TT's for 3 years now and love the quality. So, needless to say I snatched it up and I'm feeling quite good about the deal. I'll be picking it up on Monday. Thanks for all of your help and advice. It was much appreciated!

Beth

try2findus

We have a 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 28 QB. We have been fairly pleased since buying it in 08. Ours was probably one of the last models without any slides. Our selling point, was the nice Queen-sized bed in the center. We also like the shower set up separately from the toilet/sink area.

Check back soon and let us know which model you bought and how you are liking it. Hopefully you are enjoying a month or so of breaking it in on the open road!!!

You can find good and bad reports about anything. I drive a Chevy Impala and my wife a Chevy Aveo. Both vehicles have been rated poorly by Consumer Reports magazine, but I've found them to be great trouble-free cars. That said, I recently purchased a 2007 Coachmen Freelander with 14,000-plus miles and love it. It gets reasonably good gas mileage (between 10 and 11 mpg) and provides a comfortable ride. Outside of replacing a light bulb and some other minor maintenance, the Coachmen has been providing loyal service since the purchase. Take care of any vehicle ... oil changes, etc. ... and it will provide good service, regardless of what naysayers may report.

You can find good and bad reports about anything. I drive a Chevy Impala and my wife a Chevy Aveo. Both vehicles have been rated poorly by Consumer Reports magazine, but I've found them to be great trouble-free cars. That said, I recently purchased a 2007 Coachmen Freelander with 14,000-plus miles and love it. It gets reasonably good gas mileage (between 10 and 11 mpg) and provides a comfortable ride. Outside of replacing a light bulb and some other minor maintenance, the Coachmen has been providing loyal service since the purchase. Take care of any vehicle ... oil changes, etc. ... and it will provide good service, regardless of what some naysayers may report.